PDA

View Full Version : Can We Revisit Front Loader Washing machines?

RealLifeMama
04-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Our washer leaves clothes so wet after the spin cycle that it takes at least 3 drying cycles to dry them.
It also shakes the house and sometimes puts spots on our clothes...but, it does work.

We are drooling over this LG washer with a huge capacity and steamwash. Does anyone have one like this? (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02628862000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=All+Washers&filter=Brand%7CLG) Did it change your life?

Oh, and we were thinking of not replacing the dryer at the same time- do you all think that is a bad idea?

Iarwain
04-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Well, my Neptune broke a month or so ago and I still had tax return money so I *just* went washer shopping yesterday. Someone gave me a top loader that I've been using in the meantime but on my septic system there's a limit to how many loads I can do a day and the smaller load size was putting me waaaay behind on the laundry. I looked at the LG. It's not really a 4.2 like Sears says. It's a 4.0. The huge capacity is really appealing but I decided that 3.8 cf (the size of the Neptune I had) was big enough though I didn't want to go any smaller. The Whirlpool Cabrio has a 4.2 cf capacity. It's a top loader but it's high efficiency and the water usage is about half that of a traditional top loader. The Maytag Bravo is the exact same machine as the Cabrio (even made by Whirlpool I was told) and the price is a little cheaper. In the end I found a GE 3.8 cf front load washer at Home Depot for a LOT less and decided on that instead. It was $736 including tax and delivery but I get $109 back in rebates and gift cards. The big capacity would be nice but in terms of value for the money I think the GE was better. If price was less of a consideration I would have gotten the Maytag Bravo/Whirlpool Cabrio.

Marrae
04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Personally, I would not buy that washing machine as it's spin speed is 1200 rpm. I prefer to have one that is nearer 1600 rpm as the laundry does not need so long in the drier. Actually, variable spin speed is the best but I do like 1600 as the top speed.

Iarwain
04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
You have 1600 RPM washers? :jawdrop The top quality models here are usually 1000-1200.

RealLifeMama
04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Iarwain, what do you mean the washer is 4.0 instead of 4.2 cubic feet? I mean, I know what that means, LOL, but how do you know that?

Marielle
04-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd steer clear of those new top loading HE washers. The technology is so new and I've read many complaints on their ability to get the clothese clean. I'd go with a full on front loader. Have heard good things about the Bosch NEXXT and the Kenmore HeXt series with the onboard heater which is the kenmore branded equivalent of the whirlpool duet series.

btw, the gardenweb appliance forums are great for informed opinions on the washers as well as finicky installations which are super important with front loaders that go so much faster and have a different axis than top loaders.

eta: I wouldn't replace your dryer if it's still in good condition (have you also had the dryer ductwork cleaned? we just did it last weekend and there was a bunch of stuff when we cleaned it from the outside). Dryer technology is pretty simple and not many improvements have been made, as long as the dryer has enough capacity to handle the washer's load you're good.

RealLifeMama
04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Oh, boy...info overload.
I just can't take this decision lightly...I will have the washer until my children go to college, hopefully, so it is a big purchase...bigger than a car, KWIM?
The guy at Sears said that the LG was the best one, so DH wants that one.

ThreeKids
04-03-2008, 10:16 AM
My top loader had an extended spin cycle I loved. It would take longer, but then the drying time would take less so I actually managed to get into a groove where the wash cycle and dry cycle took about the same time. The transmission went out last week. That's the risk of extra features such as an extended spin cycle. I have to wonder if the existence of that extra speed contributed to the complexity of the machine, contributing to its eventual failure.

I think this is the one we ordered from Sears. It's the same brand as the OP's link, but with less features. Washing machines have a history that shows the simplest machines are the most reliable. Well, most products are that way, but the phenomenon is especially strong with washing machines.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02627402000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=All+Washers

It doesn't get here until one week from now because it's backordered. It was the consumer reports' second best buy. The first best buy ended up getting some scattered bad user reviews so we went with this one.

I knew this would happen when I bought a GE washer, but I couldn't resist the employee discount. I knew something would go out and the expense of fixing it wouldn't be worth it. As a GE employee, I knew full well what "service oriented" company really means. It means they don't make much money on the new machines. It's the repairs that they stick you on.

Anyway, we're using 'sposies for another week.

Iarwain
04-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Iarwain, what do you mean the washer is 4.0 instead of 4.2 cubic feet? I mean, I know what that means, LOL, but how do you know that?

I googled the model # (actually I think I was looking at the less full featured model, but it bears looking into for this one too) and found a bunch of reviews and more information stating that the same model # was only 4.0 cf. A couple even specifically referenced Sears' advertising as being incorrect.

Katigre
04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I love my Kenmore He3 washer - it's 3.5 years old now, never had a problem, works awesome and our water and energy bills are low in spite of cd'ing :).

The only thing I really wish mine had was an internal heater - that was the next generation after mine. I've heard all the Kenmore He_T's are great. I'm sure Consumer Reports has reviews you could access on which front-loaders are highest rated. I never ever plan to go back to a top loader again.

Drew
04-04-2008, 05:37 AM
:yes We have LG machines and we love them. After years of using relatively junky machines in apartment laundry rooms we were set on getting good machines for our house and haven't regretted it.

We have this model:

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/home%20appliances_laundry_washers_WM2688HNM%20.jht ml

I love the steam options. DH uses the steam fresh a lot for his work shirts which are always wrinkled due to how he jams them in his closet. Oh, and I also like the dry flat option.

Personally I would get the LG dryer as well. It has a sensor that monitors the moisture level and adjusts the dry time accordingly.

tempus vernum
04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
We don't have an LG but our front loader changed our lives for sure :yes Here is how

:arrow We were drying 2 or 3 times also and now we only dry once with a really old dryer. :tu
:arrow old stains came out of clothes :jawdrop - our washer started leaving "oil spots" on everything
:arrow if I forget to dry the clothes, they don't mildew until a little past 24 hours so I can leave a load in the washer overnight - still try not to but it's happened. This is because the clothes is SO much drier.

We only replaced the washer (for now) as we line dry everything from april to november :) so my vote is that washer and dryer aren't necessary to buy together :)

canadiyank
04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
I have a Kenmore HE3t that's 3.5 yrs. old (and matching dryer) and it's freakishly awesome. I grew up with a FL so I've always preferred them but as we've always rented since we married I did laundry at a laundromat or with what the landlord provided. Finally the washer the landlord provided was going out and my folks bought the the Kenmore set as a baby gift :jawdrop :heart. I did cloth dipes in it and it can get anything clean (katigre...I do love the onboard heater...always used it for the dipes...) and the capacity is incredible. *gush* *gush*

My folks currently have a lower line Kenmore set and before that also had a Kenmore set (always FLs as they are on well/septic) and have never had issues...they've only had those two washers in 30+ yrs! I wouldn't worry about the matching dryer. :shrug But a Kenmore seems to be a good investment. :tu

crunchymum
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
ooo, the steamwash looks so awesome... *drool*

we have an LG frontloader, but not the steam one. i love everything about it except 1 thing - it has a musty stink. :/ it's a little better if i leave the door open, but our washer is upstairs in a laundery closet, and i can't close the closet doors if the washer door is open. so, even clothes left for an hour in there ends up being stinky, i have to make sure i throw them in the dryer *right* away.

i LOVE how large the capacity is, and ditto what others have said about shorter drying times... the spin cycle gets them so much dryer than a regular top loader! i rarely hate laundry anymore, lol. :giggle

Marielle
04-08-2008, 05:02 AM
I have to admit that the one thing making me lust for a front loader is the load size. I don't know how 4 people can make so much laundry but I tend to run 2-3 full sized loads per day pretty much every day of the week just to keep up.

Iarwain
04-08-2008, 05:20 AM
I have to admit that the one thing making me lust for a front loader is the load size. I don't know how 4 people can make so much laundry but I tend to run 2-3 full sized loads per day pretty much every day of the week just to keep up.

This is exactly why I had to go back to a front loader and 3.8 cu ft was my minimum requirement. It was just too hard to keep up with a top loader, especially with the water use limitations on our aged septic system. I find it makes a HUGE difference in my sanity to be able to catch up that much faster if I get behind.