PDA

View Full Version : What is home-made in your house?

HEmomma
04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm so excited! We finally got a new stove and have an oven that works again! After having no oven for 8+ months, I'm on a baking spree lol. I want to start making all of our bread, tortillas, muffins, etc.

I even looked up cheese recipes. :shifty Thats a bit too complicated for me lol. I'd love some more ideas for things I can make at home, instead of wasting extra money at the store. What all do you guys make at home, instead of buying at the store?

HomeWithMyBabies
04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Right now I'm perfecting breads and bagels. I would like to branch out into cracker and chip territory at some point. :yum I have NO idea how though. The boys love them but I'm trying to cut out preservatives and the natural ones are hard to find and $$$.

Minerva
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I make my bread and bagels. :yes

Apple-Saucy
04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I make potato chips (baked not fried!), bread, muffins, granola :rockon

HEmomma
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Ooh... potato chips... :think Mind sharing your recipe? :D

Joyful Mommy
04-01-2008, 09:28 AM
:popcorn

Minerva
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
:popcorn

Apple-Saucy
04-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Ooh... potato chips... :think Mind sharing your recipe? :D

Thin sliced potatos, juice of a lime, onion powder, and dried parsley.

arrange potato sliced in single layer on baking sheet lined with either silpat or nonstick aluminum foil
Squirt lime juice over potatos, sprinkle with onion powder and dried parsley (can also use salt, garlic powder and pepper) Bake in a preheated 350 degrees cook the edges are a bit crispy . Sometimes they will be a bit rubbery but will dry out as they cool.

Store them in a brown paper bag or they will get rubbery again.

Minerva
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
:ty4

Niphredil
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Just bread. :blush

:popcorn for ideas!

HEmomma
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Yes, thank you for the recipe. I'll probably be trying it out in the near future. :)

Happy Mom
04-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Bread, tortillas (flour and corn), muffins, cakes, etc as necessary or desired. ;), maple syrup (its not real, but its made w/maple extract..) :P~ , jelly, chicken stock, and now, yogurt, cream cheese, and hopefully butter and sour cream next time I run out. :)

Eowyn
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm all about the muffins. I love muffins. My favorite pans right now are my car and pumpkin muffin pans from Williams-Sonoma (they were a gift). I overfill the cups enough that the kids get the shaped parts, and I get the muffin tops all to myself. :yum

HEmomma
04-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Bread, tortillas (flour and corn), muffins, cakes, etc as necessary or desired. ;), maple syrup (its not real, but its made w/maple extract..) :P~ , jelly, chicken stock, and now, yogurt, cream cheese, and hopefully butter and sour cream next time I run out. :)

My husband makes really yummy butter. :P~

Is homemade yogurt different from store bought? I always want to like yogurt, but there is something about it that I can't tolerate. I don't know if it is the texture, or what... :think

Happy Mom
04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I think mine is a bit more tart, but I mostly use it for morning smoothies, so its perfect in those.

I have yet to mix it with fruit, but I did add some honey and vanilla to one and its pretty tasty. I also added some dissolved flavored jello and made raspberry. mmm...not healthy, but the kids were impressed. ;)

WanderingJuniper
04-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Bread, granola, snack cookies/crackers, pretzels. I used to make semi-homade tortilla chips but I was the only one who like them. :rolleyes2. I feel like I'm missing stuff . :shrug

Joyful Mommy
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Is homemade yogurt different from store bought? I always want to like yogurt, but there is something about it that I can't tolerate. I don't know if it is the texture, or what...

a friend of mine from another message board said that she couldn't never tolerate yogourt, but now she makes her own and loves it! :yes

JavaMama
04-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Sometimes I bake bread... I make my pizza crust homemade. Buttery Lemon Bars, cookies of all kinds, cheesecake, pancakes, waffles etc.

Ya know, I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and she says soft cheese can be made in under an hour. I want to try sometime soon! :rockon

Michelle-Lea
04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
You can make homemade tortilla chips the same way as the potato chips. Just cut up a bag of corn tortillas into wedges sprinkle with salt, oil, juice and bake til golden around the egdges.

TuneMyHeart
04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I make bread, pita bread :yum, cookies occasionally, granola, tortillas (they take forever though).

Here's (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/node/2356) a recipe for cheese that sounds relaltively easy. That's a great recipe site too; we've loved just about everything I've made from there.