PDA

View Full Version : my cast iron skillet

amanda1
03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Is there a way to salvage a cast iron skillet that was seasoned, but rusted anyway?

Mother of Sons
03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
There is, but I don't really know how. I think it involves scraping off the rust and reseasoning but I haven't ever done it. I know there are instructions online though.

Heather Micaela
03-31-2008, 10:05 AM
I am not sure how, but my freind only buys old garage sale cast iron and makes it good as new

ElectricEarth
03-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Here's what you can do: scrub the rust off with steel wool, wash (since it's not too seasoned after you scrub it like crazy, you can use some soap if you want), then season away. Cast iron rusts if it isn't dried completely right away. I know from experience. I'm notorious for not completely drying my skillets. :doh

HTH

mom2threegirls
03-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah, definitely! Just sand off the rust, reseason it really well and it should be good as new! Sometimes mine rust a little bit if I forget to dry them off 100% before putting them away and this takes care of it! I also find that if I stack something on top of a freshly seasoned cast iron pan in the cupboard they're more likely to rust a bit.

BeckaBlue
03-31-2008, 10:20 AM
you can also through it in a fire, then the rust wipes off...atleast that's what ive been told :giggle

Minerva
03-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah, definitely! Just sand off the rust, reseason it really well and it should be good as new! Sometimes mine rust a little bit if I forget to dry them off 100% before putting them away and this takes care of it! I also find that if I stack something on top of a freshly seasoned cast iron pan in the cupboard they're more likely to rust a bit.

This is what I have done in the past!

amanda1
04-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I also find that if I stack something on top of a freshly seasoned cast iron pan in the cupboard they're more likely to rust a bit.

I think this is what happened. Thank you for the great advice!

OK, now can someone refresh my memory as to how I season it? I know I coat it with Crisco and bake it but I'm not sure for how long and how hot.

Mert
04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
just subbin'