PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Lady?!

mollobe
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Some friends of ours have a lady who cleans their house for $36! So, I called her and asked her to come look at our house. :shifty Our house is significantly smaller than our friends' house, so I'm thinking it will be about $25 per time, so $50 per month. (She'll tell us after the first cleaning how much it will be, depending on how long it takes her, etc.)

I think I've decided that I will be a much happier and more successful mom/wife if we have her come in twice per month and "deep clean" the house. She'll do the floors, dusting, etc. that I can never seem to get to - it's hard enough to keep up with the laundry, dishes, etc. That said, how come I feel guilty? Why are other mom's able to keep up and I'm not?

Marielle
03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
don't feel guilty. After #2 was born we had a cleaning lady for a whole year. Let me tell you even my husband thought she was worth her weight in gold. Once we hit a stride and wanted to reclaim that part of our budget money we let her go and felt no guilt then either.

something glorious
03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
DON'T feel guilty :no that is an insanely reasonable price....i say GO FOR IT :highfive (and go for it with NOOOOOOO guilt :hug )

abbiroads
03-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I think its a great idea!!

Ali
03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
DH got me one when I was pregnant and so so sick all the time. It was wonderful! In fact, I have them back again now. I *could* do it all myself, but if one can find a reasonable price, I see nothing wrong with farming out some of the housework!

SPKarenO
03-18-2008, 03:50 PM
do you live near me? cause i'd like to use her too!!!! :shifty

Jenny
03-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't feel guilty. If she will be able to help you, that's great- plus the money you pay her will be going to her and her family to help them. :yes

RubySlippers
03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
If you can afford it, enjoy it!
You do what you've got to do. :hug

joyful mama
03-18-2008, 04:08 PM
wow, I've never heard of it that low, but if she is (maybe you're in a less expensive area than me :scratch) I say GO FOR IT.

believe me, when you walk in and your floors are clean and your toilet shiny and your home CLEAN the guilt is GONE. Trust me. Its awesome and worth every penny.

something glorious
03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
wow, I've never heard of it that low, but if she is (maybe you're in a less expensive area than me :scratch) I say GO FOR IT.

yeah :giggle molly lives in a MUCH cheaper state/area than we do :yes

mollobe
03-18-2008, 05:20 PM

yeah :giggle molly lives in a MUCH cheaper state/area than we do :yes

:yes One of the (only :shifty) perks about living in East Texas!!!

Katiebug
03-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Absolutely go for it :yes. It was commonplace until pretty recently for women to have a housekeeper/servant/whatever. The Proverbs31 woman? Yeah, she had somebody else scrubbing her floor :giggle

donnettacb98
03-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Some friends of ours have a lady who cleans their house for $36! So, I called her and asked her to come look at our house. :shifty Our house is significantly smaller than our friends' house, so I'm thinking it will be about $25 per time, so $50 per month. (She'll tell us after the first cleaning how much it will be, depending on how long it takes her, etc.)

I think I've decided that I will be a much happier and more successful mom/wife if we have her come in twice per month and "deep clean" the house. She'll do the floors, dusting, etc. that I can never seem to get to - it's hard enough to keep up with the laundry, dishes, etc. That said, how come I feel guilty? Why are other mom's able to keep up and I'm not?

DO IT. Until this past month I had someone coming every month to deep clean. I'd have the house clean (toys put away, etc) so she could spend the time cleaning the bathrooms, mopping the floors, cleaning the ceiling fans, etc. This is the first month without it and I'm about ready to start having someone do it again.

klpmommy
03-18-2008, 06:08 PM
we had someone come every other week for about a year & a half (a lot more $$ than you are talking about!). It was *wonderful*. It not only had my house sparkly those days, it forced me to do some general pick up b/c she worked around the mess to do her cleaning & I didn't want to miss out on any of her magic.

ArmsOfLove
03-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm wanting someone to clean my house :kiss

Heather Micaela
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I *don't* keep up, I triage. Most needed gets done first.

So it is usually this order - clutter clearing - tidying up through out the day, dishes for whole day after dinner, and laundry 1x a week.

As a result I dust onlybefore holidays and before company comes :giggle

I f I had the money I woule

crunchymum
03-19-2008, 10:17 AM
DON'T feel guilty :no that is an insanely reasonable price....i say GO FOR IT :highfive (and go for it with NOOOOOOO guilt :hug )

oh my goodness, YES! DO IT! :woohoo wow, for real if i could find someone that reasonable, i'd use all my spending money and hire her every week! don't you dare feel guilty... you are an amazing mama and wife and if this helps you out, wow, what a blessing. :heart :)

HomeWithMyBabies
03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
That awesome! Go for it! You're helping someone else make some money, nothing wrong with that!

milkmommy
03-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I'd love to be able to find and afford a ,maid we are comfortable with to come a deep clean twice a month soo would be worth it to me.. And having those days as extra special family time even better :rockon

Deanna

clementine
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
WOW! We pay 3x that, and it is still worth it for the time saved!!!!
go for it:)

illinoismommy
03-19-2008, 11:01 AM
That is a good deal.... I don't really know much about cleaning ladies, what do they do? Clean the bathroom every time? Go behind furniture or just the general cleaning?

I'd love to be able to afford a cleaning lady at some point.... gee I'd love to be able to afford one this summer while post partum.... but we probably can't afford it at this point, also they'd probably laugh at how small my house is :O

clementine
03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
ours:
vaccuums
does tile and wood floors
dusts
bathrooms cleaned
kitchen countertops (which are pretty clean anyway:)
cabinet fronts/microwave inside/appliance fronts
basically she pretties things up:)

she doesn't do:
windows
laundry
dishes

The added benefit to me is that we need to pre-clean the house, so I have a deadline of sorts (yeah, I need motivation:)

joyful mama
03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
our cleaning lady:

dusts all furniture, usually polishes once monthly or so, and dusts the ceiling fans about the same time
deep cleans bathrooms
moves all the furniture (except the really big heavy stuff) and cleans/mops/vaccums. she even waxes our floors, every floor gets done
deep cleans kitchen- all the cabinets, under the top of oven, all appliances, microwave in and out, shines the sink, cleans the countertops
if there are dishes, they go in the dishwasher
generally tidies if I haven't done all of it already (toys I missed under bed, etc.)
makes the beds really nicely (I make them but she pretties them up)
cleans the laundry room, appliances, general tidy
inside windows and all mirrors

The added benefit to me is that we need to pre-clean the house, so I have a deadline of sorts (yeah, I need motivation:) :yes some people say to me, 'why do you clean before the cleaning lady?' but its more general tidying... ya know, toys in the toy box so the floors can get cleaned... that sort of thing.

AdrienneQW
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Do it, do it, do it. I've said here before that after the first couple of times our housekeepers came I told my DH that I was never going to be without help again. Then, to make it crystal clear, I told him that I understand finances shift and change, and if things ever became tight for us I would willingly give up the housekeepers... the day AFTER he canceled his season tickets to the Lakers and USC football. :giggle THEN he understood. ;)

Joyful Mommy
03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
that sounds like a great price to me! i say go for it!

joyful mama
03-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Do it, do it, do it. I've said here before that after the first couple of times our housekeepers came I told my DH that I was never going to be without help again. Then, to make it crystal clear, I told him that I understand finances shift and change, and if things ever became tight for us I would willingly give up the housekeepers... the day AFTER he canceled his season tickets to the Lakers and USC football. :giggle THEN he understood. ;)

:giggle :giggle

mom2threegirls
03-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh my goodness!! :jawdrop That's an amazing price! I wish I could find someone for that cheap- I'd have them here twice a month or even every week in a heartbeat! :yes