PDA

View Full Version : Meals/Snacks for Dairy Free and Soy Free Kids

Marsha
03-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Dh and I have decided to feed Ainslee a more T-type diet as outlined in Dr. Abravanel's Body type diet. We are both T-types, me more decidedly so, and so is Ainslee.

I have always been concerned about her very, very fluctuating energy levels and mood swings, and firmly believe food is at the root. She's a HUGE carb fan, which is indicative of someone who shouldn't eat so much , ie. T-types.

Anyway, we are at a loss for snacks and even foods rather than eggs and peanut butter. Controlling her snacking will help, eliminating all sugar and sweets will also eventually help to make her hungrier and more likely to eat other foods, but I wanted to have a decent variety.

When WE eat the t-type diet, we just eat the same thing. I can eat roughly the same menu for about six months LOL and dh can too. I just don't think Ainslee will, she doesn't have an underlying motive except mom and dad are making her do it, yk?

Singingmom
03-17-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't know what the t-type diet is, but my ds is dairy and soy free.  It's a challenge, especially for protien. 

Hummus is good with crackers to dip (Back to Nature is one brand w/o soy) or veggies to dip.

Tortilla chips and salsa.

Toast with jam (I make bread... Whole Foods is the only place I know of with bread that's soy free.)

Fruit, cereal, sheep's milk cheese if she can have it...

For meals, I cook from near scratch for everything and can adjust most recipes.  I make pizza with no cheese but lots of toppings, meatloaf or burgers (homemade rolls), chicken, pasta, pancakes/waffles, muffins, soup, beans and rice, tuna salad (soy free mayo at Whole Foods), chicken broccoli and rice casserole with white sauce made from broth and rice milk, stir fry...

It's hard to get used to but not hard to do.  :)

abbiroads
03-17-2008, 07:17 AM
your looking for more protien less carbs? We hav been dairy and soy free completely for almost 2 years and mostly for 2 years before that. Hummus is a big hit here, wih veggies or on bread or crackers They like plain lunchmeat (we get the Hormel Natrual or a brand our HFS carries) tuna with mayo (we get canola mayo) canned salmon.

joby'smom
03-17-2008, 07:25 AM
:popcorn

Thinking about going dairy free... This is going to be difficult. I love cheese! Go figure, born and raised in WI :heart

Marsha
03-17-2008, 07:39 AM
yes, more protein , less carbs. She junk foods SO MUCH! And I know it's my fualt, but she just doens't eat anything otherwise, so I'll have to get over watching her "starve" LOL.

I guess the trick is to get her hungry enough to expand her repertoire. I cannot imagine her eating tuna or salmon or hummus!!!

I don't care about trace soy, it affects her less than dairy, but I do care about HFCS and I can find bread at the grocery that is whole wheat and without HFCS, so we already do that. She does like rice with marg and salt, we do pretty good with whole grains.

We got a microwave poacher and she loves "juicy eggs" so that helps. I will attempt tuna and salmon. We love it and dh takes it to work in those pouchs (It's not too expensive at Walmart) etc.

(I think I'm scared, food is a huge issue and always has been since she was a non eating, underweight toddler)

Myrtle
03-17-2008, 09:53 AM
:) just watching for info

Proverbs31
03-17-2008, 03:39 PM
:popcorn

Katigre
03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Do you live near a Trader Joe's?

Marsha
03-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Do you live near a Trader Joe's?

No, we have an Earth Fare.

But yesterday went great. Planned meals and snacks. It was nice to actually see her HUNGRY! Though she did do a fair amount of whining. And she still didn't eat dinner. She often doesn't. She ate her "lunch" of two slices of turkey finally about 4 and then ate a serving of peas, but didn't join us for Irish hot pot. I still think she ate pretty well for the day though.

abbiroads
03-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm glad it was a good day!