PDA

View Full Version : Vegetables and Fruits as snacks

illinoismommy
03-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Tell me what ways you serve vegetables as snacks and the kids like them .... fruits too, but I am mainly interested in vegetables. :)

Also any ideas on how to serve Apples to a kid who won't eat them whole, and won't eat them cut up with or without peanut butter for dipping? What else could I try?

HomeWithMyBabies
03-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Have you ever given him a baked apple with some cinnamon and honey inside? My dad used to make those, he'd cut most of the core out of the top and put the stuff inside and bake it, IIRC.

I'm so not fancy with veggies, I just put them on the plate and my four year old eats them. My two year old won't touch them at all, so I hope you get some ideas, I'll be watching for some.

abbiroads
03-14-2008, 02:11 PM
mine will only eat veggies for a snack if the are dipped in hummus.

OpalsMom
03-14-2008, 02:15 PM
You can grate an apple and mix it with plain yogurt. Yum. Also try cutting in very thin slices (the texture is different).

Frozen peas or corn (still frozen) are a great kid-friendly veggie snack.

Firebird Rising
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
We dip everything in SOMETHING at our house. DS will eat baby carrots by themselves, and cooked kale ( :shrug ) but we have a whole arsenal of things to dip in. We dip in hummus, tofu mayonnaise, "thousand island" dressing (ketchup/mayonnaise), applesauce, guacomole, salsa, gravy, um, refried beans and whatever can be pureed and have a good flavor. I don't worry too much about the dipping as long as DS isn't licking the dip off and re-dipping. He's usually pretty good about eating the whole veggie with dip on it.

Jen D.

illinoismommy
03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm so not fancy with veggies, I just put them on the plate and my four year old eats them.

what types go well? raw or cooked?

OpalsMom
03-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Vegetables DD eats raw, plain: cherry tomatoes, big tomatoes, carrots (baby or in sticks), celery, cucumber, sweet peppers, sometimes broccoli. Never cauliflower. And the tops off fennel, because she's weird.

HomeWithMyBabies
03-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm so not fancy with veggies, I just put them on the plate and my four year old eats them.

what types go well? raw or cooked?

He just likes them raw; the usuals are broccoli, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and celery. However on top of the celery he like peanut butter and raisins. Ants on a log.

monkeylicious
03-14-2008, 03:05 PM
We dip everything in SOMETHING at our house. DS will eat baby carrots by themselves, and cooked kale ( :shrug ) but we have a whole arsenal of things to dip in. We dip in hummus, tofu mayonnaise, "thousand island" dressing (ketchup/mayonnaise), applesauce, guacomole, salsa, gravy, um, refried beans and whatever can be pureed and have a good flavor. I don't worry too much about the dipping as long as DS isn't licking the dip off and re-dipping. He's usually pretty good about eating the whole veggie with dip on it.

Jen D.

another dip (for fruit) yogurt or peanut butter and yogurt mixed (you could use any nut butter i would think)

hopefromgrace
03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
How about slicing a red bell pepper in half, scooping out the seeds, and then use that for your bowl...fill with slices of the other half of the bell pepper,carrots, cucumber slices,etc...whatever he likes and then add some type of dip (ranch,hummus,whatever he'll like) to the bottom of the bell pepper bowl...it's a fun and different way of eating your veggies and then they can eat the bowl after,yum!