PDA

View Full Version : Beans spin off

Codi
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
So what different kind of beans do you use for what?

I always buy pinto beans in bulk and use them whenever we have mexican food...like once a week. But want to spice things up a bit. My son wont ear meat, so I like to make sure he is getting protein from other places and I am SURE pinto beans are getting B O R I N G!

Mama Calidad
03-06-2008, 01:20 PM
You can use Peruvian beans in place of pinto. We use them interchangeably. We also use a lot of black beans for refried beans or on tostados.

Marielle
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
we use black beans (both mashed as a quicky refried and most often stewed over white rice). I like to toss them into salads and meat dishes too.

Someone on here gave me the great idea of tossing a handful of lentils into any cooking ground beef mixture to boost the protein/fiber content. It tasted great in bolognese.

We use dark red kidney beans a lot in chili and sometimes I'll toss in some black too. Garbanzos get made into hummus but I also use pintos (both half with garbanzos or alone) and they make a creamier hummus or cannelini/navy beans for a looser bean dip - same method as the hummus. The kids love this stuff.

Growing up I ate guisado which is a smoked meat and garbanzo soup that was served over white rice. Lentils were often stewed with smoke porkchops or hunks of smoked pork. Pinto beans are the red bean of choice for dominican style beans over white rice or for making "moro" which is when the beans and rice are cooked together.

CakeLady
03-06-2008, 01:38 PM
pinto for refried beans (though I skip the frying part) and burritos
garbanzo for hummus
kidney for chili and soups
white for chili and soups
black for mashed, soups, burritos

Codi
03-07-2008, 02:35 AM
pinto for refried beans (though I skip the frying part) and burritos
garbanzo for hummus
kidney for chili and soups
white for chili and soups
black for mashed, soups, burritos

THANKS!

I skip the frying part as well for refried beans. Just boil them and mash. Mmmm...

bananacake
03-07-2008, 04:49 AM
:popcorn

CakeLady
03-07-2008, 07:59 AM
THANKS!

I skip the frying part as well for refried beans. Just boil them and mash. Mmmm...

You're welcome. Frying is fun, but I found it really didn't add much flavor. DH's new favorite meal that I make is refried beans and Mexican rice served with tortillas, cheese, sour cream, etc. Both DH and DD get really excited when I make it. Who knew such a simple meal would be a family fav.