PDA

View Full Version : What to do with these diff types of rice?

CakeLady
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I have a bunch of different types of rice that I got through the co-op I run, but I don't know what to do with them. I have wild, black, red, and jasmine.

Any recipes or ideas? What do I serve with them? :shrug

CakeLady
03-07-2008, 08:00 AM
anybody....anybody

MarynMunchkins
03-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Jasmine rice makes a great rice pudding. :yum

TuneMyHeart
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
We love jasmine rice! We eat it with just about anything. I season it with butter, onion, garlic, and chicken bouillon.

CakeLady
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
We love jasmine rice! We eat it with just about anything. I season it with butter, onion, garlic, and chicken bouillon.

I've never had it...I guess I was assuming it would be a really strong flavor and wouldn't go with much.

jenny_islander
03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Jasmine rice is DIVINE. Substitute for white rice in any savory recipe.

Black and red rice are supposed to be great in Asian desserts; I would Google for recipes.

Wild rice is fantastic, but some people don't like it "straight." Mix with white rice if it's a bit much for you. It needs long, slow cooking until the grains burst. Best as a side dish with beef or game or as a vegetarian main dish with mushrooms, IMO.

jujubnme
03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I've made this salad with black rice. It's got an interesting mix of flavors and it's colorful. you may want to tweak the dressing...

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1622447

My favorite way to cook wild rice is in soup. I posted a link to a yummy Chicken Wild Rice Soup recipe in the soup thread in the soup forum a while back.