PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I've planted some seeds...NOW WHAT?!!

chelsea
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
So I've planted some flower seeds. How do I get them to germinate? I realize that's the most "dumb" question ever, but here's a few specific questions:
Do I keep the lid on the boxes all the time, even if there is moisture on the inside?
Do I keep them in darkness or expose them to light? Do I have to buy a lamp or is room light enough? Should I open my windows to let sunlight in?
Do I water them at all?
And please add any other tidbits of advice you may have.
Honestly, I'll be completely SHOCKED if any of these even survive! :hiding

chelsea
03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
BTW, they are planted indoors in containters...not outside. Thought I better specify. ;)

canadiyank
03-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Umm, not sure what you're describing, with lids and such. :think Can you post a pic or link? What kind of flowers are they? They'll need light and water to germinate. I'd put them in a sunny window.

backtobasicsmum
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
It will totally depend on what type of flower they are....some like it cool for germination, some warm, so damp....you get the idea!! Can you let us know what you have?
Oh, and what region are you in? I'm just trying to figure out how soon you will actually be able to plant them outdoors....

mom2threegirls
03-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Most seeds will have very detailed instructions on how to plant them and what to do on the packet. Did you follow those instructions (if there were any)? :shifty

I've had great success starting plants from seed with one of those little greenhouse thingies with the clear plastic lid- it kept it nice and warm (but not too warm!) and gave them some extra light. I checked mine a couple times daily and mist them if they are dry. YOu don't want them soaked- just damp and they can't dry out. Generally dark is good until they actually germinate and then it needs light (but again it depends on the individual plant!). Put them in a bright window sill with the sun shining in and that should be enough light. Good luck! Planting from seed is so much fun (but so much work! :shifty :giggle that's why I haven't done it in awhile ;)). :rose

chelsea
03-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks for your input! :tu

What kind of flowers are they? They'll need light and water to germinate. I'd put them in a sunny window.

So far I've planted:
Anagalis: Gentian Blue
Ageratum: Summit F1 Hybrid
Lobelia: Regatta Rose Improved
Mesembryanthemum: Gelato Red
Aubrietta: Large Flowered Mixed

It will totally depend on what type of flower they are....some like it cool for germination, some warm, so damp....you get the idea!! Can you let us know what you have?
Oh, and what region are you in? I'm just trying to figure out how soon you will actually be able to plant them outdoors....

I think I have to keep them indoors until late May. I'm in Canada (West Prairies), I'm not sure what region though. :think

Most seeds will have very detailed instructions on how to plant them and what to do on the packet. Did you follow those instructions (if there were any)? :shifty

I've had great success starting plants from seed with one of those little greenhouse thingies with the clear plastic lid- it kept it nice and warm (but not too warm!) and gave them some extra light.

Yep, I followed the instructions to the best of my knowledge. :lol
That describes what I'm using...a "little greenhouse thingy with the clear plastic lid". :yes How much light do the plants need to be getting? :think

canadiyank
03-07-2008, 05:37 PM
They need quite a bit of light. :think I'd put them in a sunny window and they should be fine.

chelsea
03-07-2008, 07:50 PM
They need quite a bit of light. :think I'd put them in a sunny window and they should be fine.

Even if the windows are fairly chilly? :shifty

backtobasicsmum
03-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm Western Prairies too! :rockon But I probably won't start my seeds inside until the end of March. :shifty That will give me 8 weeks or so, till the last frost (usually long weekend in May-ish)

As for the chilly window...I have plenty of those too! I'm planning on putting my seedling in a south facing window during the day and then moving them to my kitchen table at night time, so they don't get chilled. I don't think I'd leave them right by the window, at least not in our climate!

I'll do a quick search and get back to you if any of those plants need anything specific....but I think if you are following the guidlines on the package (and by the sounds of it, you are) I think they'll be fine!!!
I hope you have lots of little sprouts soon!

chelsea
03-14-2008, 10:15 PM
BTW, I figured it would take my seeds a good two weeks to germinate so I didn't even check them until 4 days later, and most had grown...and some were over an inch high! :jawdrop A few in the one tray had the starts of that spiderlike mold around the base, but I took it off gently and it hasn't come back. :tu
Now I just have to figure out how to deal with the other small tray, which I planted in the containers that say you can transplant them all together in it...and there is mold growing around the outside of those containers (and I mean real green mold.) :doh The weird thing is, the mold showed up *after* I had removed the lid. So strange. :scratch