PDA

View Full Version : What If You Plant Your Seeds Too Early?

chelsea
02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
This isn't so much a "oops, it happened" as much as it is a "I WANT TO PLANT MY SEEDS NOW AND I CAN'T WAIT, CAN I START?!!!" What would happen if my seeds are not supposed to be planted until 6 weeks before frost (indoors) but I start them knowing that I've got a good 8 weeks to go to that point? Will they die a few weeks early? Or not work at all? I would keep them inside until the last frost, I promise! :P~ I just really really want to plant some flowers!

tempus vernum
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
SEveral things could happen
*they'd be fine because the weather would cooperate
*they'd never germinate because it's too cold
*they'd hybernate until it's warmer and come up when they would if you planted them the right time
*they'd sprout and die because it's too cold for them

One thing to remember is that gardening is always uncertain. It's at the mercy of the weather.

chelsea
02-27-2008, 09:57 PM
SEveral things could happen
*they'd be fine because the weather would cooperate
*they'd never germinate because it's too cold
*they'd hybernate until it's warmer and come up when they would if you planted them the right time
*they'd sprout and die because it's too cold for them

One thing to remember is that gardening is always uncertain. It's at the mercy of the weather.

Oops, I forgot to specify that I would be keeping them indoors until after the last frost. Does that change things at all? :scratch

tempus vernum
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Frost date doesn't matter then. I have grown tomatoes in the winter from hanging pots in my kitchen :rockon They don't grow as quickly or as big but they still grow

Go for it :)

chelsea
02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Frost date doesn't matter then. I have grown tomatoes in the winter from hanging pots in my kitchen :rockon They don't grow as quickly or as big but they still grow

Go for it :)

Thanks! You ROCK! :rockon

Joyful Mommy
03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
oh, that is so exciting! i tore myself away from the big rack of organic seeds at the front of the grocery store today! i am going to pick some up next time and start the ones i can!

Lady TS
04-18-2008, 07:15 PM
If you don't have a strong light source, the plants will get leggy if they are inside too long. :/

Just FYI. I am itching to plant, too. I think it's ok to start by now, though. ;)

Firebird Rising
04-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I was starting seeds inside in February when I lived in Nebraska and our frost free date wasn't until May something. It was GREAT fun! Go for it and have some serious fun!

Jen D.

chelsea
04-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, I started them pretty soon after the post, and they germinated within a few days. They did "good" for awhile, but little by little they died. There is actually one little guy left who I'm hoping makes it so my two tray experiment is not a complete waste. :giggle
But I'm going to start some more soon, since it's closer to the time where they could get more sun more often. :grin

Minerva
04-19-2008, 09:18 AM
OH! That sucks about the dying ones.
Let us know how the new batch turns out.

Hermana Linda
04-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I found out that I can cover my seedlings outside with half a plastic bottle.

tempus vernum
04-21-2008, 05:49 AM
I am itching to plant, too. I think it's ok to start by now, though. ;)

:giggle you must not be in zone 5 like me - we have had a long long winter - I think our last snow was only a week or two ago :rolleyes

Lady TS
04-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Actually, I was talking about starting INDOORS. :shifty I think we are zone 5-(OH). We put plants outside Mother's Day or a week or two after, depending on the weather.

I am going to put some seeds outside today, Lord willing. Cool-weather stuff like peas and onions and cabbage(got some free plants dying to be outside :shifty), and lettuce and spinach. NOT tomatoes and that type thing, though! They don't stand a chance outside yet!

I did see some sunflower seeds popping out of the soil though...

chelsea
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I am itching to plant, too. I think it's ok to start by now, though. ;)

:giggle you must not be in zone 5 like me - we have had a long long winter - I think our last snow was only a week or two ago :rolleyes

And as for me...I'm in "Zone Canada". :shifty
Well, I better go. Ds and I are supposed to go outside and play in the snow now! :doh

Joyful Mommy
04-25-2008, 10:11 AM
LOL about "Zone Canada". That's me, too! It has been so warm here for the past two weeks, but today, it's freezing!
I just planted a bunch of stuff indoors this week. DS2's bedroom (not like he uses it anyway! :giggle) has been taken over by a big table with all my seedlings. i figured his room was the best place for it all, since that room gets the most sunlight.