PDA

View Full Version : Agave?

HummusDip
02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
I've never tried this. How does it taste? And is it healthy? I ran across a recipe involving this and I'm interested in trying it, if it's something I might like. :)

naturallia
02-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Hmmmm.... it tastes like... well... tangy honey. It's not quite honey, but it has a tangy sweet taste. The texture is like syrup- it's thin.

HummusDip
02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
hmmmm I may like it then. I do like honey. :think

BearyBlessed
02-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, it's healthy. It has a low glycemic index. :)

Maggie
02-15-2008, 09:53 PM
We use it a LOT. Probably too much. :shifty But it *is* low on the glycemic index, like Beary said. We use it to make cookies and in bread and on waffles and in hemp shakes, etc. It's great! Less "stinky" than honey, KWIM? It's good! You can get raw agave nectar, which is even better for you.

HummusDip
02-15-2008, 10:03 PM
We use it a LOT. Probably too much. :shifty But it *is* low on the glycemic index, like Beary said. We use it to make cookies and in bread and on waffles and in hemp shakes, etc. It's great! Less "stinky" than honey, KWIM? It's good! You can get raw agave nectar, which is even better for you.

Hemp shakes? Wanna share a recipe? Yes I know my co-op sells raw agave, so I think I'm going to pick some up and try it. When you use it to make cookies to you sub it for sugar?

Aisling
02-15-2008, 10:04 PM
:nak2 :yes

inesperada
02-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I won't eat it. :no2

Agave nectar is a new, high fructose sweetener. It’s 90% solids, a percentage much greater than traditional high fructose corn syrup. (This amount of fructose may aggravate a copper deficiency linked to serious coronary problems.) Agave may cause disintegration of red blood cells, irritate the skin and the lining of the gastrointestinal tract, depress the central nervous system, and immune response, and may cause miscarriage. More testing is being done, but agave nectar is a new generation sweetener to look for soon.

From Healthy Healing by Linda Page, pg. 152, 12th Edition, 2004

Also look at

http://www.rawfoods.com/articles/agave.html

HummusDip
02-15-2008, 10:11 PM
OH goodness! Thanks for the info Nebraskamom!

I wonder if I should just stick to raw honey. :think

naturallia
02-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I prefer raw honey over agave, but now that I know this about agave, I'll stick to only raw honey! It's cheaper anyways.

flowermama
02-16-2008, 12:21 AM
I didn't realize there was anything negative like that about agave nectar. :think We use agave nectar because we try and avoid honey due to being vegan. I like this brand a lot: http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands/wholesome/Wholesome_Sweeteners_Organic_Raw_Blue_Agave_Nectar .html

Bonnie
02-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I didn't either. I avoid honey because it's high GI, and I don't like the strong taste. I don't use much of anything, though, so honestly I'm not too worried about the very small very occasional amount of agave that I use. Good to know, however, to keep in mind for larger uses and to temper recommendations.

Maggie
02-16-2008, 01:35 AM
That's the kind we use, too, Jeri. :)

Kat, the hemp shakes I make are only oat milk, hemp powder, cocoa powder, agave, and vanilla extract or almond extract or cinnamon. I have added coconut butter before, but I don't typically. :)

I wasn't aware of the negative views of agave, either. I'm going to ask DH about that and get back to the thread.

HummusDip
02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks Maggie! I'm going to try that shake! I hope I can get my hands on some hemp powder.

gentlemommy
02-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I've never used it because of those concerns nebraskanmom posted. We typically use honey, maple syrup, xylitol, or sometimes sucanat for baking.

cobluegirl
02-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I haven't tried it because of the HFCS part...but my gma uses it and loves it...

Maggie
02-16-2008, 01:01 PM
It's because it's high in fructose that it's low on the GI. It's not genetically-modified like HFCS and you can get it organic. And it's not a whole food, but it is less processed than HFCS. Just stating some of the differences. I am glad to know the negative info, too, though, because it's a reminder not to eat agave (or anything) excessively. :)

(This is not directed at you, Rachael. Just in general. :) :hug)

cobluegirl
02-16-2008, 01:21 PM
np....I don't know enough about it to object...