PDA

View Full Version : How to turn the TV off

poopoo
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
How do I get away from watching TV all day long and get myself up off the chair or away from the computer to get some work done? The TV is going from the time I get up to the time I got to bed. My dd likes to watch her cartoons (Playhouse Disney, Noggin, Nick Jr) on the big TV. But she is getting as bad as me when it comes to watching TV all day.

A family member keeps telling me to turn off the TV, STOP watching the Soaps, watch or record Joyce Meyers, Life Today. BUT I just can't seem to turn the TV off.

I need to get some motovation to get up and do something, like housework. I looked at my house today and thought "my house is a mess". My house was never this messy before my dd came into the house.

Yes, I do need a nice "daily chore" chart but do you know I can't even get myself to do that. I even have tons of books I need to get to reading but I can't turn the TV off long enough to even do those things.

I need help, can you tell? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kim

The Tickle Momster
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Unplug it. :shifty

I was like that for a long time while my dd1 was small. I found if I didn't even turn it on things were much better. I don't even miss it any more. Except that now, I have GCM. :/

klpmommy
02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
The first few days will be hard, but once you get used to less tv you will be amazed at how much you don't miss it. I watch very little tv nowadays, I spend my screentime on GCM. Too much some days. :shifty

One thing you can do to help- clean in 5 minute bursts. Or "reward" yourself for cleaning by allowing yourself to watch tv.

You can always join in the Messy Housekeeping Challenge in this forum. It is helping me to earn points to clean. :giggle

allisonintx
02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I declare a Commercial Free Week. No TV. I turn it off, and off it stays. It helps us remember what it means to be a family.

In fact, we're having a Commercial Free Week right now! I'm enjoying it enormously.

illinoismommy
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
The first few days will be hard, but once you get used to less tv you will be amazed at how much you don't miss it. I watch very little tv nowadays, I spend my screentime on GCM. Too much some days. :shifty

One thing you can do to help- clean in 5 minute bursts. Or "reward" yourself for cleaning by allowing yourself to watch tv.

ditto

I have a small checklist right now.... I printed it with a big font and David helps me check them off.... it doesn't cover everything but at least the most important parts