PDA

View Full Version : why keeping up with my house better is going to save money

klpmommy
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
This is *so* embarrassing, but I want to share anyway.

I just threw away a bunch of socks that have holes in them. It is not a big deal b/c we have plenty of other socks. In fact, we have *too* many socks b/c in the past I have bought new socks rather than working on the pile of Mt. Clean Laundry & all the clean socks were buried in there *somewhere*.

When I cleaned out the laundry room a while back I found 8 stain sticks. I never could find one, so every time I went to the store I would buy another one.

When I cleaned up the junk drawer I found a bazillion pens that actually worked (and threw away the ones that didn't). I had just bought a new package of pens b/c I couldn't find any that worked in the mess of a drawer.

I could add so many more stories like this.

:sigh

joyful mama
02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
i totally understand :hug2

ProudMommaof2
02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I could add to the stories like this too. I do it all the time when I go grocery shopping. I just bought a big jar of Smart Balance mayo the other day because the one in the fridge was getting low, and when I went to put the new one in the pantry, and there on the bottom shelf was another brand new jar I forgot I had bought before. :doh I also do this with my scrapbook supplies. I always forget what I actually bought and what I just contemplated buying and put back. Sometimes I will buy a pack of stickers and get home and find a brand new package of the same ones that I forgot I bought. :crazy :giggle
You're not alone momma, we all do it I think. :yes

klpmommy
02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I refuse to talk about my scrapbooking habit in this thread lest dh ever happens across it. :shifty :lol

Living My Dream
02-06-2008, 02:30 PM
yep anther buy more instead of find person here....

Its funny DH and I were just talking baout the 40 blue biros we just found and the hoards n hoards of socks we jsut found while decluttering!

You're nt alone!

ArmsOfLove
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
:yes chaos is expensive

Aisling
02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh, ITU! I realized today that I don't need any summer clothes because now that my laundry is all caught up, I know I have plenty of tshirts! I just need to declutter and keep what I do have washed. :O

I do enough laundry to keep our nice washrags clean for our kitchen, so we don't need paper towels, either. :rockon

CakeLady
02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
:bag I, unfortunately, can also add a few stories here too. :shifty

ProudMommaof2
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I refuse to talk about my scrapbooking habit in this thread lest dh ever happens across it. :shifty :lol

:laughtears Understood. ;) :lol

inesperada
02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
:yes2 ITU that too. Good for you for doing such a great job tackling it! :cheer

crunchymum
02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
ITU, kimberly!!! :hug2 did i tell you about the time i decluttered some paper chaos that i had been avoiding and found an UNCASHED money order from our renter (about $700) for 6 MONTHS before??? :blush :blush :blush holy moley.

GotMyHeartFull
02-07-2008, 06:48 AM
:yes chaos is expensive

:yes

:hug2

Holiday
02-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Or if the house is a mess, we don't feel like being here so we will go out to eat or shopping to avoid being home!

kwisie
02-07-2008, 07:54 AM
You are definitely not alone. :hug

Forgiven
02-07-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm really working hard to organize so that I know where everything is. I've bought something before only to find out later that I already have it. That is one of the reasons I avoided the after Christmas sales this year. I didn't have a place to put the stuff ready and I didn't want to loose something if I bought it.

Teribear
02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Not to mention late fees for bills that you never saw because they got buried in the paper clutter...not that I've ever done that you know... :blush

SPKarenO
02-07-2008, 08:35 AM
this drives me nuts. i hate when i can't find something i KNOW i have and then end up having to buy another one.

binkies come to mind. i'm pretty sure i've invested WAY too much money in binkies.

joystrength
02-07-2008, 08:39 AM
soo, soo true!

For me, it was we need some more diapers ... only to "uncover" the bag that a friend gave us (and, sadly, some of them were already too small!). Talk about conviction to "get things in order" ... :O :lol

BearyBlessed
02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
ITU :bag

klpmommy
02-07-2008, 10:18 AM
binkies come to mind. i'm pretty sure i've invested WAY too much money in binkies.

ITU that one. But now E is old enough to keep up with her own & if they are all lost she is out of luck. She has kept up with them quite well.

illinoismommy
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
lol this is true for me too.... I totally can lose things anywhere.... then replace them and find the original.... its not funny though when its my keys for the thousandth time and i cant replace those :/

KatieMae
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM

:lol I signed up w/ DH's aunt - a creative memories consultant - to do 208 pages in 2008. This is totally necessary as I have three children & ZERO baby books. If I get to a 4th baby & 0 books, they're never ever ever going to get done. So, we've agreed to a budgeted amount that I can spend on supplies, but I just bought a bunch of stuff at JoAnn's w/o first checking to see what I already have so now I'm :nails to see if I just wasted money on duplicates. :doh

JavaMama
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Organization really pays off! :yes

I've always been a neat freak but I went through a period of time where I was so disorganized! It was awful... we'd lose things that seemed gone forever until I finally decluttered. I was so embarrassed when I finally did a whole house decluttering and had several bags of trash, several bags for Goodwill etc (and I'm talking huge black trash bags, not dinky kitchen bags). :blush

I try to stay on top of things now... but speaking of which, I need to declutter our closet. Wish me luck. :nails

Teacher Mom
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
ITU, kimberly!!! :hug2 did i tell you about the time i decluttered some paper chaos that i had been avoiding and found an UNCASHED money order from our renter (about $700) for 6 MONTHS before??? :blush :blush :blush holy moley.

oh my!!!