PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals in GSE? Has anyone heard this?

krysmh
02-05-2008, 12:33 AM
:/

I've been reading this book:
http://www. amazon.com/Better-Basics-Home-Simple-Solutions/dp/0609803255/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202196864&sr=8-1

which is about making stuff like cleaners and beauty products. Really great book, BTW. I decided to do some more research on some products it recommends before deciding which ones I want to buy and use in my homemade concoctions.

I researched a few different essential oils and also grapefruit seed extract. I was trying to find some real scientific evidence that it kills stuff like salmonella and e.coli. I didn't really find that, but I did read several things that said studies showed chemicals such as triclosan and chemical benzethonium were present in a lot of the GSE and that the GSE without the chemicals wasn't antimicrobial.

This made me go :hunh :think :/

Has anyone heard this? I'm really hesitant to try it now. I stay far away from triclosan and don't want to accidentally ingest it or use it in my kitchen. But I also don't know if those studies are worth believing. Anyone know?

gentlemommy
02-05-2008, 01:04 AM
:yes3 I have actually read that before, a few different times. I'm not sure what to think about it because then I read something else refuting it, so :shrug and :popcorn.

kwisie
02-05-2008, 09:04 AM
:shrug and :popcorn here, too.

Rabbit
02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
From what I could google, I don't want GSE in my house anymore. :no2

rowansmom
02-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I vaguely remember hearing something about this, and what I could gather was that the traces are so minute that it's not an issue. but I could be wrong.

krysmh
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
What I have been reading stated that it was what made the product an effective antimicrobial, and without the chemicals, it was not effective.

So what's the point then?

:think I don't think I'll be buying it either way. I think I'd rather stick with something else.

Rabbit
02-06-2008, 03:51 PM
We used it extensively, and I feel just :sick about it.