PDA

View Full Version : random every day clutter.... how do you give it a place?

illinoismommy
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I am talking about things like..... dh's glasses... a couple books and/or magazines I need to read but haven't gotten to yet... some headphones for use with the computer (dh uses these).... all these things tend to gather on the tops of the bookcases.... I have a "pile problem".... flat surfaces start collecting things. How do I give these random items a place?

edit: eek can someone move this thread, wrong place :giggle

Myrtle
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I use baskets. They still collect a lot of clutter, but it looks a lot neater. :yes

joy
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
We have a big "hot spot" bowl for keys, change, phones, phone headsets, hair bands, sunglasses, ipod, etc. for the stuff that you always are taking in and out of your pockets that you use a lot or random little things you don't want to lose or DS to get to.

I have a shelf in our bookcase (in the living room) for "what I am reading/doing now or mean to read soon" where I put library books, magazines, and whatever I am reading. sometimes a knitting project is there. Nothing goes there permanently - it is my "action" space.

There is a low shelf near the hotspot with a basket that gets DS shoes, socks, sweatshirts, and any clothing that gets tore off in the spur of the moment. It's my "put this in DS's room" basket. Me and hubby's shoes go next to the basket when we take them off in the living room.

If any of these areas get too full, it is time to weed through and clean them out.

We also do not have a junk drawer! We do have a drawer with the important things in little compartments: pens, note card, rubber bands, a tape measurer, a flashlight, a small hammer, a multi-tip screwdriver, some mints, a cup of random keys, and the scissors. We use all these things a lot - and we have kinda avowed to put them away after using them. This is where you find them, and where you put them back.

Um. in the bedroom, if I find any clothes on the floor, I put them in the hamper and they go to the wash. If hubby wants to wear something twice, he has to put it on the chair and I'll leave it there. This keeps the floor clear in theory. lol.

That is some of our clutter methods so far. My hubby is a little obsessive and it has wore off on me since we've met. :shifty

Katydid
01-29-2008, 04:49 PM
:popcorn

illinoismommy
01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I use baskets. They still collect a lot of clutter, but it looks a lot neater. :yes

but but.... i want to BEAT the clutter! I am clueless on this

crunchymum
01-29-2008, 06:12 PM

but but.... i want to BEAT the clutter! I am clueless on this

some things just need to be weird places, though... :shrug it's better to 'contain' them than let them run wild, kwim? :)

one thing i learned working with a profession organizer was that if it's not just as easy to put something away than to leave it out, it will get left out. ;) so having a 'home' for things *at their point of use* is really important... if i need to cross the room or go into another room to put it away, 9 times out of 10 i won't. :shifty (or maybe *i* will but no one else will).

Myrtle
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
one thing i learned working with a profession organizer was that if it's not just as easy to put something away than to leave it out, it will get left out. ;) so having a 'home' for things *at their point of use* is really important... if i need to cross the room or go into another room to put it away, 9 times out of 10 i won't. :shifty (or maybe *i* will but no one else will).

:yes Having a "home" for everything is extremely important and a pain in the neck in the beginning. But once you get a home, it's easier to declutter. I use baskets for the things that don't have a "home."

Living My Dream
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a basket idea - its leather boxes and they are naughty but they get their monthly clean out!