PDA

View Full Version : Lotion for extremely dry skin

Linnis
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
DS has REALLY dry winter skin. :( I am trying to give him less baths, avoid soap, use lotion but it's not working. He's got red dry patches all over and he itches.

I have tried some of the Burt's Bees lotion but the smell messes with asthma and DH's asthma. I am finding even unscented lotion has a smell.

Ideas?

MarynMunchkins
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Have you tried just coconut or olive oil? :)

Aisling
01-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I soak my patchy dd in the bath and then rub coconut oil into her skin immediately afterwards. :) It hydrates her skin and seals in the moisture.

Linnis
01-24-2008, 06:54 PM
That sounds like a good idea. :rockon I have olive oil I'll have to try it.

Where would one get coconut oil?

lumpofclay
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
The best thing that works for our DS (who has dry skin patches moreso than our girls) is oatmeal in his bath.

We took some tights and cut off one end. (so we had a sock-like shape) We put regular oatmeal in it and knot it shut. Just soak it in the tub while he bathes. You can squeeze it a little. The water gets milky.

Sylvia
01-25-2008, 12:26 PM
DH's dermatologist finally convinced him that "lotions" are actually drying. What you need is something more like a cream or ointment. Of course, ointments don't ADD moisture to the skin, so they're best used to TRAP moisture after a bath. Best cream we've found is Cetaphil in the tubs. It's fragrance free and a tiny bit goes a LONG way. Aquaphor is good as well, but a bit messier.

pastelsummer
01-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I use creamy petroluem jelly on my niece. that may help