PDA

View Full Version : oven cleaner?

schmamy
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
The inside of my oven is seriously nasty. The last time I tried to clean it, I had great success with Goof Off and steel wool...but I'd rather not expose us to the fumes if something healthier/natural will work just as well. Just now, I easily picked up the two big pieces of charred spills that were stinking up the whole kitchen this week when I used the oven :O but I tried halfheartedly to scrub a little with plain old baking soda and water...um, not effective, at least not the way I was doing it. :no I was like, forget it, the oven works fine even if it's a mess. :shifty

Is there a good natural solution that will work? I'm totally not into spending hours and killing myself having to scrub so hard. I gave up on baking soda in my bathtub because I had to scrub SOOO hard--I have to scrub hard enough with Soft Scrub as it is. :shrug

krysmh
01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
I have a book with homemade cleaner recipes, and it suggests this:

Sprinkle with baking soda to cover. Spray with water until very damp, and keep moist by spraying every few hours. Let sit overnight. In the morning, scoop out the baking soda, and all the grime should be loosened. Rinse oven well.

For super tough jobs, use washing soda instead of baking soda. It can usually be found in a yellow box (made by Arm & Hammer) on the laundry aisle. It will require extra rinsing (use gloves).

I haven't tried these methods (yet) but I hope this helps. :)