PDA

View Full Version : closet organizational systems

illinoismommy
01-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Has anyone installed one of these before? Any tips? Favorite brands? We have nice big closets with a lot of wasted space (I mean if I tore everything out they could almost be called walk-in. so I am looking at installing these.... not the cheapest from what I can see.... but it would really be a good usage of space. I am really interested in finding a system that has drawers .... then I can go without dressers for the kids :yes, since less furniture in their rooms means more playing space.... it might take a few months to save the money for the venture but maybe I can get it done before the baby gets here.... I'm nesting early :giggle

Drew
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
I know Elfa (available at The Container Store) has really nice pieces for closet organization but they are pretty pricey. We bought some similar, but much less expensive pieces, at Menard's. I want to say that they were Rubbermaid brand but I'm not sure. Anyway, you can get drawers, shoe racks, shelves, whatever you want.

I saw in your other thread that you were looking for dressers. We haven't had need for a dresser for a good 7 years due to our closet setups.

mom2threegirls
01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I really like the closetmaid wire closet systems :yes. And they are about the cheapest way to go too :tu. Last night we picked up some wire baskets that hang from the shelves and they are a GREAT alternative to drawers. I know there are some other really great closet systems out there too if you have some $$$ to spend on it :yes.

I'm totally with you on wanting to get rid of the dressers for more playing space! We got rid of the dresser for DH and I too, actually ;) I also have some over the door shoe organizer thingies mounted to the blank wall space in my girls closets and they stick their jammies, socks, underwear, etc. in there and they work really great too as an alternative to drawers.

AmyDoll
01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I saw some at Ollie's Bargain Outlet for cheap - they had Rubbermaid and ClosetMaid brands.

illinoismommy
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
I saw some at Ollie's Bargain Outlet for cheap - they had Rubbermaid and ClosetMaid brands.

We don't have that.... but I do notice Home Depot has closetmaid, and they have laminate/pressed white board type drawers you can install, they come in two drawer bits..... I can't seem to find them online though so I don't know a price yet.

AdrienneQW
01-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm totally jealous of your closet space. :yes Our house was built in 1929 and the master bedroom has no closet at all. :scratch In fact, the biggest closet in the house isn't large enough for me to stand inside with my arms outstretched.