PDA

View Full Version : natural disinfectant?

klpmommy
01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
What do you use to disinfect? I have vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, orange oil, tto, lavendar oil, dawn detergent... I think that is it. I would rather not buy anything if I can avoid it, but I will if I need to. TIA

Marielle
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
vinegar & hydrogen peroxide. I spray one and then the other. I keep hydrogen peroxide in the original dark bottle that I switch the cap out with a trigger spray. I use it to wipe the counters down after meat, in the bathroom, etc.

joyful mama
01-22-2008, 02:20 PM
i use tto ... a few drops in my spray bottle cleaner :) and some lavendar or peppermint to make it smell nice.

hink4687
01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Tea tree oil and lavendar oil both are antibacterial and antiviral so they will kill all your germs!

MoongardenMama
01-22-2008, 09:35 PM
I like to make a spray with Doc Bronner's Sal Suds, purified water and tea tree oil too. :tu

krysmh
01-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Being the germophobe that I am, I've been researching this topic lately because I still use toxic disinfectants (Lysol... love my lysol :O) in my kitchen, esp after cooking meat. I haven't found any real scientific evidence that lavender or TTO kills the bacteria that causes food borne illness (esp the really bad e coli strain), though I've read some promising things about thyme EO, as well as the vinegar/hydrogen peroxide combo (not mixed in one bottle).

I'm still nervous to try them, but when I do, I think it will be the peroxide/vinegar thing.

Of course they still say good old fashioned hot, soapy water works. But I don't believe them. :shifty

tempus vernum
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Being the germophobe that I am, I've been researching this topic lately because I still use toxic disinfectants (Lysol... love my lysol :O) in my kitchen, esp after cooking meat. I haven't found any real scientific evidence that lavender or TTO kills the bacteria that causes food borne illness (esp the really bad e coli strain), though I've read some promising things about thyme EO, as well as the vinegar/hydrogen peroxide combo (not mixed in one bottle).

I'm still nervous to try them, but when I do, I think it will be the peroxide/vinegar thing.

Of course they still say good old fashioned hot, soapy water works. But I don't believe them. :shifty

:giggle that is so me. I actually use hydrogen peroxide (food grade). If you use food grade, it comes in 35% and you have to dilute down to 3%.

BUT whenever we got a report that Luke's counts were down, I would get out the bleach water :shifty Or I would get some rubbing alcohol and spray it all over. the alcohol is so so stinky that dh asked me to keep it to the bleach :shifty

But now that he's off treatment, I was just thinking I need a new bottle so I can go back to hydrogen peroxide/vinegar combo. I had stopped using the vinegar cuz my spray bottle broke :shrug

TuneMyHeart
01-23-2008, 08:14 AM
vinegar & hydrogen peroxide. I spray one and then the other.

Me too. :yes

krysmh
01-24-2008, 12:34 AM
The really nutty thing is it's very rare for me to actually get meat juices on the counter. I line it with something when I handle meat, so it never gets germy. And then I still disinfect. Yes, I'm THAT much of a freak! :giggle

Things would be sooo much easier if my hubby would go veggie. :lol