PDA

View Full Version : need some dressers.... Ikea?

illinoismommy
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Is Ikea a good place to get dressers? I was looking at this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10062592

Are they good quality? It says solid wood. I've never been to Ikea before, the closest one from here is hours away which isn't unreachable it just hasn't happened....

My parents have been asking what we need for the baby, and the answer is surely dresser(s).... I thought I'd point them that direction if they felt inspired :)

Katigre
01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
I love IKEA! Their furniture is great for families with kids b/c it's not too much $$ and while it's not the highest quality in the world - it won't be heirlooms - if you buy the solid wood stuff it will hold up and be durable (though it might get dented more easily). We have a lot of IKEA stuff in our house and are quite happy with it :).

And by the way...i'm not too far from IKEA so if you do come up for something we should get together and meet there! They are a great place for playdates b/c of the cheap food court, and nice kids play areas.

mom2threegirls
01-22-2008, 01:07 AM
We have some of the "Leksvik" bookshelves and they have held up amazingly well :yes :tu. I just got the "leksvik" cubby bench for the kids playroom and we love it :). Some Ikea stuff isn't real great quality but if you get the solid wood stuff it is a GREAT value. We still have a kid's table and stools that look as good as the day we got them 6 years ago (aside from having to paint the table top every couple years when the crayon/marker marks get too bad ;)), along with the bookcases. A dresser I'd be a LITTLE more leery about since there's more that can break but for that price, for solid wood, I would go for it!

We LOVE the restaurant and the kids area at Ikea :smile. Mmmmm... chicken marsala :yum.

krysmh
01-22-2008, 02:49 AM
IMO, Ikea makes disposable furniture. :shifty

tree_hugger
01-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Janet, those drawers are very nice! I think they also have a matching change table top for that set.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19842534

And by the way...i'm not too far from IKEA so if you do come up for something we should get together and meet there! They are a great place for playdates b/c of the cheap food court, and nice kids play areas.

Slightly OT, but I just wanted to say - a GCM play date at Ikea would be, like, my wildest dreams coming true. :O :giggle :melting

klpmommy
01-22-2008, 05:46 AM
You have to put together your stuff from Ikea, which makes me a bit nervous about drawers. We have shelving units & tables from there which I love. Plus we got a great price on an easel & an abacus.

Holiday
01-22-2008, 06:40 AM
We are getting an Ikea here soon yeah!

Drew
01-22-2008, 09:21 AM
IMO, Ikea makes disposable furniture. :shifty

That has been my experience as well with the exception of a very solid bed we got for my sister a few years ago. We bought our current dresser (and a few tables and chairs) from Overstock.com and are very happy with it.

BHope
01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
We own several pieces of Ikea furniture and have never had an issue. My mom has the kitchen buffet version of the Leksvik line and after two years it looks as new as the day she brought it home. I would never consider the Ikea line to be heirloom quality, but they do usually serve their function well. I certainly have gotten every last cent out of the money I spent.

Not to mention, Ikea as a whole seems to be earth conscious and consumer friendly. I'd rather buy an affordable dresser from them than Walmart or even Target.

KatieMae
01-22-2008, 09:32 AM
I've gotten the best deals buying furniture on Craig's List. We bought a few things used but also found a wholesale furniture dealer advertising on CL & got $800 solid wood craftsman-style bunkbeds for $375. I would check on there before buying new/retail, just to see if there are any better options. It's always good to shop around, you know :)

AdrienneQW
01-22-2008, 09:43 AM
We used to have the coffee table (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30045484) from the Leksvik line and loved it. We also bought our dressers at IKEA, but I don't see them on the website now - I can't remember the name of the line, but apparently they don't make it anymore. We've had the dressers (four of them) for almost ten years now with *no* problems at all - and one of them has been in Dexter's room since he was born, so it's seen some "rough use".

I agree that while IKEA is not "heirloom quality" furniture, if you buy the solid wood stuff it's usually a good value. For example with the Leksvik dresser the bottoms of the drawers and the back of the unit will not be solid wood (I believe they're particleboard) which keeps the price down, but the rest is solid wood. I also happen to think the Leksvik line is very attractive. :tu

I certainly have gotten every last cent out of the money I spent.

I agree with this. I've never been sorry about an IKEA furniture pick. Now granted, sometimes I've gone to the store to buy something I saw in the catalog and decided not to buy it because it didn't look as sturdy as I'd hoped... but of the things I've actually purchased, I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

tree_hugger
01-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Now granted, sometimes I've gone to the store to buy something I saw in the catalog and decided not to buy it because it didn't look as sturdy as I'd hoped... but of the things I've actually purchased, I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

I think this is the key. I would never buy something from them online, you really need to see it in person then decide. :)

illinoismommy
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
so now today I was spending some time in our closets and I am thinking about gutting them and installing one of those closet systems, and you can get drawers with them, and then we wouldn't need dressers :shifty .... we have some big closets that have a lot of wasted space....

greenjellysnakes
01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
so now today I was spending some time in our closets and I am thinking about gutting them and installing one of those closet systems, and you can get drawers with them, and then we wouldn't need dressers :shifty .... we have some big closets that have a lot of wasted space....

This is what I would love to do, if we had more space.

Slightly OT, but I just wanted to say - a GCM play date at Ikea would be, like, my wildest dreams coming true. :O :giggle :melting

I agree :yes Our next meetup should be there!