PDA

View Full Version : HELP! can I wash couch cushion covers in the washer?

poleidopy
01-21-2008, 11:41 AM
our couch is like 6 years old, w have never washed the cushion covers We've cleaned them, just not taken them off to wash them) and they are looking pretty grungy right now. This morning the boys emptied a carton of grape juice on the couch, then covered it with pillows so I wouldn't see. I *just* found it. :doh So...can I wash them in the washer, and if so, what setting and how do I dry them? (It's too cold & wet to let them dry outside.) They are like this fluffy corduroy-like ,material, but I'm really afraid if I wash them it will fall apart or something. There's no tags that say how to wash them, but they do unzip, so I'm assuming they can be washed somehow. So...help! How do I clean them?

2sunshines
01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I've washed mine in the machine. I just wash as normal and hang to dry (inside). I've never had a problem, but I have no clue if there's differences among different fabrics or not. :shrug

poleidopy
01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
:nails I'm really afraid they'd fall apart. I would *love* to have them clean so when DH comes home he gets a BIG surprise (He'd be so thrilled! :heart ) But if I screw up and ruin them...oh man...I'd be in big trouble. :shifty

Marsha
01-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Sometimes they can shrink and are hard to put back on . Between that and grape juice, I think I'd give it a shot. :shrug :hugheart

mamaKristin
01-21-2008, 11:46 AM
maybe do a gentle cycle, with the covers inside out? that might help keep the fluffy, fluffy. I'd hang them to dry, and put the cushion inners out of reach of little hands, and make a fort on the couch with a sheet in the meantime. :)

cobluegirl
01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
yeah I would wash them in cold inside out on gentle.

Also for grapejuice you can boil hot water and pour hot water over the stained spot over a bowl or jar and the hot water will take the juice out.

poleidopy
01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Ah, thank you ladies! I am off to wash them on gentle, inside out and I'm putting the boys to sleep while they wash! :rockon The top ones won't get washed though. The back of the couch is just huge pillows, not foam or anything, just stuffing. I am NOT letting the boys find out. They would be pulling that stuff out every chance they could get. :shifty

milkmommy
01-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I do it all the time just wash cold gentle cycle and don't put in dryer

Deanna

joy
01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
If you're real nervous to try it, can you do a test with a throw pillow first (if there is a matching one?)
I can wash ours - cold water, gentle, and hang to dry like others have said. I tried on a throw pillow first before doing the whole set.

poleidopy
01-21-2008, 01:27 PM
well, i washed them inside out on cold/gentle and it didn't do anything. They have some weird, almost-waterproof coating on the inside though. so I turned them right side out and I'm washing them again. Hopefully this time it works. :yes

2sunshines
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
grape juice won't come out super easily. I'd try soaking them in oxyclean. That'll probably do it. :yes