PDA

View Full Version : Table Cloth or Place Mats?

HummusDip
01-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Which do you use? I was just thinking about this totally random thing over the weekend and wanted to ask you all. We use place mats currently but I'd like to get a table cloth or two and switch them out. :)

The Tickle Momster
01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't use either. :shrug Too much work. It's just easier to clean the table.

Kyasmom
01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
:yes

Bonnie
01-20-2008, 10:06 PM
I can't imagine a time in the near future where I'd use a table cloth. If a kid pulls a place mat (or it catches between table and kid and gets pulled), it dumps one place setting. A whole table's worth? Um, no.

mummy2boys
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
I use a table cloth AND placemats ;) I can't imagine a table without a cloth (thats my nanna coming out in me :giggle she would be proud!)

krysmh
01-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I have both. Though the table cloth is just protection for the table, not for looks. It's thick and you can wipe it off with a wet rag. Our table is new and I'm paranoid it will be ruined. :O

I have bamboo place mats that I love. :yes

HummusDip
01-20-2008, 10:40 PM
See my table is weird and has grooves in it so if food gets in it, it's almost impossible to get it off, so I must use something. And I never thought about the kids pulling over the whole table of food, rather than just the one. Maybe I'll stick with my placemats! :giggle

Barefoot Bookworm
01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm also one who doesn't use either. I'd like to have some handwoven place mats though. My MIL is a big weaver so she might make some if I ask nicely.

milkmommy
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
both out tables not too pretty so I always cover it with a cloth and I use place mats that can just be wipes clean keeps me from having to change the table cloth several times a day ans still keep the table looking nice.

Deanna

KatieMae
01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
We use cloth place mats. I also live in fear of having one child (or one grown up for that matter!) pull a whole table-full of food onto the floor by accident. I bought some fairly cheap, matching placemats & napkins at Cost Plus World Market four or five years ago & they're still going strong; plus we have a few other matching sets that we got for our wedding that I use when the others are in the wash.

My table has grooves too & it really lessens the amount of food that gets caught in the edge groove at each place setting :yes You still have to wipe the table unfortunately ;)

joy
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
We use placemats to protect the table and to look nice. A tablecloth would get pulled off in no time!! When DS is a little older though I would like to use one.

Marrae
01-21-2008, 12:52 PM
We use leather placemats and coasters. Leather is great as it saves the table from water marks and heat marks.

AdrienneQW
01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Placemats - the kids use these (http://painlesslearning.com) and DH & I use cloth. We only own one tablecloth, which is used for more formal occasions (in other words, almost never).

tree_hugger
01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
:yes

Same here - though, our table is old with lots of scratches. If we had a new table, I might feel differently. :giggle

RiverRock
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I didn't use anything until I noticed the finish starting to wear. Now we always have a vinyl tablecloth. I buy solid coloured ones to coordinate with our kitchen. I have cloth tablecloths that usually get put out if we have company...but they only last for one meal.

erinwtx
01-22-2008, 07:34 PM
We have the grooves, too. The kids still get crumbs off the mat but it definitely helps. I have the kids use plastic placemats. Different characters for different months/seasons. I wipe them down with clorox wipes daily.

I have cloth placemats, too, but they are always spilled on and just don't look the same once I wash them. Anyone have tips for cleaning cloth placemats?

I have never used a tablecloth but like the idea.