PDA

View Full Version : 1/21/8 Shiny Home challenge

tempus vernum
01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
DAILY STUFF
HOT spots - 5 mins 2x's a day (10 pts)
HOT SPOT CLARIFICATION -- if you get your hot spots to the point of nothing is congregating there . Then the job changes to "check hot spots,two times of day" You still get points for maintenance.
Declutter - 15 mins/day (15 pts)
**modification to decluttering task --previously was 10 pts -- NOW IT'S 15 points for doing the 15 minutes of decluttering and 5 points per item you throw away or donate.
Shiny sink (15 pts for empty shiny sink, 5 points for doing some dishes)
Laundry (15 pts for caught up, 5 points for making progress on laundry but not caught up)
3 -- 15 minute pick ups (15 pts per pick up - maximum of 45 points)
Quiet Time/Devotions Spent time with Jesus - pray, focus, ask HIM to bless your ministry to your family (150 points)

Challenge 1/21/8 - ponder the changes you have made due to the challenge(s) you have participated in. Consider what you need to focus on next. Feel free to PM or post if I can tailor challenges to your needs or post so we can discuss how to get there! (100 points)

Bonus 1/21/8 - journal about those changes and make several goals to get you to the homekeeper you want to be (100 points).
*If you want to online journal, we could have a separate thread in this forum and post if you want to share but sharing isn't necessary.

WI Mama05
01-20-2008, 08:52 PM
subbing :heart

good ones. I have a bunch of updating to do from the last week or so. I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

WI Mama05
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
HOT spots 10 pts
Shiny sink 15 pts
Laundry 15 pts
Quiet Time/Devotions 150 pts

Challenge 1/21/8 - ponder the changes you have made due to the challenge(s) you have participated in. Consider what you need to focus on next. Feel free to PM or post if I can tailor challenges to your needs or post so we can discuss how to get there! (100 points)

Well, I have come to realize that I'm not lazy, I just live with two tornadoes :shifty, okay, three on the weekend! :giggle

But seriously, it's made me realize that it doesn't really take that much effort to make small changes. Like keeping up on the dishes, it's a few minutes 3-4 times a day and it's done. So why did I let it pile up at least 3-4 times a week?

I need to focus on rotating now. Things that I had done a month or two ago are falling apart again :shifty like my "tupperware" cabinet, the cabinet below my bathroom sink, my bathroom closet, above the fridge, and - of course - my basement :O.

Bonus 1/21/8 - journal about those changes and make several goals to get you to the homekeeper you want to be (100 points).
*If you want to online journal, we could have a separate thread in this forum and post if you want to share but sharing isn't necessary.

I'm not very good at journaling :O But my goals are to keep up on the laundry and dishes for sure, try to keep the toys picked up every day and to organize that basement!
[/quote]

naturallia
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
I did a HUGE housecleaning because I'm hosting that bible study tomorrow! Wish me luck. :

HOT spots - 5 mins 2x's a day (10 pts) :rockon

Declutter - 15 mins/day (15 pts) :phew Went through all my clothes so that I could fit them all in my bureau.
**modification to decluttering task --previously was 10 pts -- NOW IT'S 15 points for doing the 15 minutes of decluttering and 5 points per item you throw away or donate.

I set a lot of clothes aside to sort through to try to do the reverse swap next month... so they're all in the corner of the closet right now- but they WILL be gone, so I'll count them.... 20 tops, 15 pants, toothbrush santizier, purged my diaper bag of different stuff, transferred it to a different bag and purged my purse too, got rid of old diapers that nobody would want, threw away all the socks that are missing its mates, threw out the plastic food containers I was hanging onto for reasons I can't remember, purged my old folders off the bookshelves, it's been 6 years since I took a college course, threw away underwear with holes and rips in them.. and more! I think there was about 80 items altogether... 400 pts.

Shiny sink (15 pts for empty shiny sink, 5 points for doing some dishes) Done!
Laundry (15 pts for caught up, 5 points for making progress on laundry but not caught up) Done!
3 -- 15 minute pick ups (15 pts per pick up - maximum of 45 points) Done! Three times today.
Quiet Time/Devotions Spent time with Jesus - pray, focus, ask HIM to bless your ministry to your family (150 points) :heart

It's so much easier to just pick up and have it looking presentable. Before doing this challenge, I wouldn't be inviting people over because I was overwhelmed by the idea of having to clean my home. Now I can spend an hour of cleaning and have it sparkling. Before doing these challenges, it would've taken me a week or more. No kidding!

Hmmm, what do I need to focus on next? After the baby's born and I know what sex it is, I will need to start purging the boxes in my closet. If it's a boy, I need to sort the baby clothes to see which I can use with this one and which ones I need to sell or swap to get what I need. If it is a girl, I need to go through the two trash bags of baby girl clothes that a friend gave me and sell all the baby boy stuff to get more money for getting girl clothes. So... to tailor this to fit everyone, maybe have a challenge to prepare for selling/swapping things or for a spring garage sale... this way, this can be adapted to fit everybody's needs.... I think everybody probably could go through their houses to find things they need to sell or trade to get it out of the house and putting that money towards what is needed. Maybe someone else has too many crafting supplies for one specific thing and not enough for another... sell/swap to get what she needs! Maybe a different person recently lost a lot of weight and needs clothes that fit- purge the too big clothes and use that money from selling the clothes towards smaller clothes that fit. You get the idea!

Goals.. Keep our home presentable so that I don't have anyone questioning my ability to be a good mother again.

850 pts

Myrtle
01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Shiny sink (15 pts for empty shiny sink, 5 points for doing some dishes)
Laundry (15 pts for caught up, 5 points for making progress on laundry but not caught up)
3 -- 15 minute pick ups (15 pts )
Quiet Time/Devotions Spent time with Jesus - pray, focus, ask HIM to bless your ministry to your family (150 points)

I've started to relax more, and now I don't feel like I always have to have everything done all the time. Before, things floated around in my mind, and even when I sat down to "relax" I always had something that "needed" to be done in the back of my mind. Now, I know I'll get to it eventually. My house is always presentable b/c of the dailies that I've been keeping up on, and I enjoy having people over. Before, it was stressful to have people over b/c I always knew "something" needed to be done before they got there, and I felt rushed and even frantic at the thought of someone coming by on short notice. My home is much more user-friendly, and I'm a more hospitable hostess. Right now I want to keep my focus on what I've been doing, making it habit and continuing along these lines. When it warms up, I want to focus on the outside of the house, sweeping the porch, tackling the garage, stuff like that.
295 pts

joyful mama
01-22-2008, 02:35 PM
sorry just getting to this today... but its good b/c I can really focus on the challenge today.

shiny sink 15 pts
laundry 5 pts
decluttering 15 pts- 3 things decluttered 15 pts
3 15 mins. pickups 45 pts
hot spots 10 pts
6 floors swept and mopped - 90pts
quiet time- 150 pts

Challenge 1/21/8 - ponder the changes you have made due to the challenge(s) you have participated in. Consider what you need to focus on next. Feel free to PM or post if I can tailor challenges to your needs or post so we can discuss how to get there!

The 'dailys' have helped me a ton... the dishes, laundry, pickups etc. I've found that just even doing a little bit keeps things so much neater. Today I had a couple of people coming over for lunch. I picked up a little last night and this morning, but I didn't have a ton to do. Come to find out, playgroup got canceled at church b/c of no heat, so we had no place to go, and no one was called. My friend called me just as I was leaving, and I was able to invite everyone here without being embarrassed by a mess :no :heart. Within 10 minutes I had 10 moms and 13 kids here to play, unexpected. my kitchen, bathrooms, kids room, playroom, living room and dining room were all presentable :woohoo.

Journaling/goals... I guess I can journal here :think

I've felt inspired knowing that aroudnt he country (or countries) other moms are doing the same challenges as me :heart. I also found that I'm not the only one who gets overwhelmed by my life or my house. My goals are to keep up the daily tasks and to foucs on decluttering and getting rid of things by donating/tossing. I realy need to donate all the huge piles I have ready to go, and dh and I together want to work on that :)

545 pts for yesterday :)

naturallia
01-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I just hosted a playgroup today too. :yes Although it shows.... :shifty Toys scattered all over the house!

Garland
01-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Just some basics this week:

HOT spots - 5 mins 2x's a day (10 pts)
Declutter - 15 mins/day (15 pts)
Shiny sink (15 pts for empty shiny sink, )

One 15 minute pick up (15 pts per pick up - )

Points = 205