PDA

View Full Version : MUST SHARE THIS! fat-dairy-sugar-free, no-knead whole wheat bread!!!

herbalwriter
01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
THis is incredible bread. It is a white bread recipe but I adapted it to white whole wheat...and to not having a pizza slide nor cornmeal. :giggle Next I am going to try it with freshly ground ww flour. The original version was printed in our newspaper, and it's from a book by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." This is half the recipe. This makes 2 little fat loaves, about the size of small cantaloupes.

If you want bread on, say, Saturday, start this process Friday after lunch. ;)

3/4 TB yeast
3/4 TB kosher salt
2 cups white whole wheat flour (like King Arthur)
1 1/4 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour

In large covered container - I used a glass salad bowl with snap-on lid - dissolve salt and yeast in 1 1/2 cups + 1 TB lukewarm water. Stir in flour - dough will be soft and conform to the shape of the container. If it doesn't, add more water 1 tsp at a time until it does (with ww flour, more water is usually required). Do not knead. Cover loosely with parchment paper or towel and let rise and then fall, 2-5 hours. When it's flat on top or fallen, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Or you could freeze it at this point.

When ready to bake, dust a piece of parchment paper with flour. Uncover the dough and dust it with flour. Dust your hands, too, and pull out a chunk about the size of a grapefruit. If you cut it off, use a serrated knife. Don't knead, but shape the dough into a ball, stretching and turning until it is rounded on top and bunched on the bottom. Dough will be super sticky, so keep coating hands with flour - but do not try to incorporate the flour into the dough. Place dough ball on the parchment paper and let rest, uncovered, for 40 min.

Cover and refrigerate remaining dough for up to 2 weeks. It tastes more "sourdough" the longer it's refrigerated.

As soon as the dough is set to rest, place oven rack in middle of oven and put a pizza/baking stone on middle rack; put empty broiler pan on bottom rack. Turn the oven on to 450. In 40 min., when dough has rested (it won't rise much - you'll ask yourself why you are bothering to bake a frisbee), stone will be hot enough. Dust top of dough ball with flour. Make 3 1/4 inch slashes in top of dough with serrated knife. Take stone out of oven, slide parchment paper (with dough on it) onto the stone, and pop into the oven; pour 1 cup hot tap water into broiler pan. Bake until loaf is well browned and no longer soft to the touch - recipe says 30 min, for me it was around 25. And if you take it out and cut it and it's too doughy in the middle, you can pop it back in the oven at 450 and bake some more. It's *that" forgiving.

This sounds lengthy, I know, but it's actually really fast and simple when you do it. And it is THE most amazing bread I have ever tasted - it's like the classiest French bread and with organic butter...oh man. Ds and I almost finished the loaf. :yum :yum :yum :yum

you can also make sticky buns with this, and pizza dough, and all kinds of stuff. I love that it has no sugar nor fat nor dairy.

krysmh
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Sounds yummy!

Do you think it would work with all whole wheat flour? And could I add fat? lol

WI Mama05
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Oooohhhh! I'd LOVE to try this! :heart

herbalwriter
01-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Sounds yummy!

Do you think it would work with all whole wheat flour? And could I add fat? lol

I can say with a certain amount of confidence that it would probably work well with all white whole wheat. But I have not yet tried it with whole grain hard winter wheat. I usually grind it myself, but I copped out and used store bought for this recipe. :shifty

I wouldn't add any fat though...until you bake it. It is INCREDIBLE with butter.

jenny_islander
01-22-2008, 11:43 AM
WOW. This sounds like the perfect bread if I want to get serious about baking all our bread!

I would like to try this today or tomorrow, but I probably won't be able to get to the store. I have white "Better for Bread" flour and some whole-wheat flour, but not a lot of either at the moment. Could I use a mixture?

herbalwriter
01-22-2008, 02:16 PM
WOW. This sounds like the perfect bread if I want to get serious about baking all our bread!

I would like to try this today or tomorrow, but I probably won't be able to get to the store. I have white "Better for Bread" flour and some whole-wheat flour, but not a lot of either at the moment. Could I use a mixture?

:yes I did. I used 2 cups white whole wheat and 1 1/4 cups white flour.

jenny_islander
01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
So I could switch regular supermarket whole wheat flour out with the white whole wheat flour cup for cup? :think What exactly is white whole wheat flour? I don't think I can get it locally.

EDITED so it actually makes sense.

herbalwriter
01-23-2008, 06:02 PM
So I could switch regular supermarket whole wheat flour out with the white whole wheat flour cup for cup? :think What exactly is white whole wheat flour? I don't think I can get it locally.

EDITED so it actually makes sense.

Yes, I bet you could use regular whole wheat the way I used white whole wheat. ;) King Arthur's is the only brand I know that has white whole wheat - it is lower gluten and softer, finer flour - more like white flour, but it's 100% whole wheat. It's perfect for cookies and cakes and stuff.

So you could do maybe 2 cups regular whole wheat and 1 1/4 cups white. :yes

krysmh
01-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I use white whole wheat in just about everything. I think it's the same thing as whole wheat pastry flour, if you see that anywhere.

I'm planning on trying this bread soon. :smile

herbalwriter
01-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I tried it today, using 2 cups white and 1 1/4 cups store bought whole wheat - not the white whole wheat. We'll see!

I really want to do it with freshly-ground flour, but I have just run out of time lately. :O

QuiltinGramma
01-24-2008, 12:23 PM
:popcorn
:heart

puah
04-08-2008, 03:43 AM
can't wait to try this soon!

diamondintherough
04-08-2008, 04:05 AM
dh loves artisan breads and they're expensive in the store. We used to go to a little Italian shop and get a loaf, but I haven't found anywhere to buy some since we moved besides the grocery store and they're just not as good.

Must try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

herbalwriter
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
dh loves artisan breads and they're expensive in the store. We used to go to a little Italian shop and get a loaf, but I haven't found anywhere to buy some since we moved besides the grocery store and they're just not as good.

Must try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Then I bet you'd like this. :yes

puah
04-10-2008, 05:21 AM
i just made this and can't get over how yummy and easy it is! i used all whole wheat freshly ground and it was perfect. mmmmmm! :rockon

expatmom
04-10-2008, 06:00 AM
2 questions:

1. Does it have to be a glass bowl or could I use a big tupperware bowl (my only one with a lid)?

2. What should I use if I don't have a pizza stone? I have one of those air filled cookie sheets; I wonder if that would work? :think

mama-hobbit
04-10-2008, 06:01 AM
I need to try this!!

puah
04-10-2008, 07:24 AM
2 questions:

1. Does it have to be a glass bowl or could I use a big tupperware bowl (my only one with a lid)?

2. What should I use if I don't have a pizza stone? I have one of those air filled cookie sheets; I wonder if that would work? :think

Go for it! it will be FINE
1. i used a plastic bowl with plastic wrap...i don't have any w/lids
2. i used an upside down regular cookie sheet dusted with flour. the bottom crust was soft, the top was crusty but it was all yummy!

Radosny Matka
04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
does it have to be kosher salt? Would regular table salt work?

me
04-10-2008, 08:03 AM
bookmarking :)

blossomnatalia
04-10-2008, 08:07 AM
I will try this too....
I am really curious to see how it turns out.

As far as the ingredients, I am finally pleased to see that people are realizing that you don't have to have sugar or fat in your bread. Yeast, salt and flour is all you need and is what I would (snobishly) consider real bread :O... coming from France. ;)
The recipe I see in america are like cake to me. I did not grow up with sweet bread unless it is brioche and it is for tea time :rockon

So thanks... I will try it with whole wheat flour :yes
will let you know how it worked for me.

puah
04-10-2008, 08:14 AM

All i have available is table salt and it worked great. i'm trying to decide if i should go polish it off or have a pecan pie bar for my dessert, that's how delish it is! :P~

Radosny Matka
04-10-2008, 09:10 AM

All i have available is table salt and it worked great. i'm trying to decide if i should go polish it off or have a pecan pie bar for my dessert, that's how delish it is! :P~

Awesome! :ty I'm so going to try this today, with my table salt, non organic whole wheat flour, and non organic all purpose flour. Even still, it has to be better than storebought bread. I love fresh bread. I'll let you know how it turns out, and next shopping trip, I will look into organic flours. :)

Radosny Matka
04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Well, I just made the dough, and I went from "memory" since my printer is acting all crazy. I ended up using 1 TB of yeast and salt instead of 3/4TB. :/ I'm gonna go with it anyway and see how it turns out. :/

herbalwriter
04-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Sara, I bet it will be fine. It tends to be a bit salty so you might want to go with olive oil or unsalted butter for eating it. :)

I am so glad you mamas are trying this and it is working for you!

I am now addicted to sourdough - also no fat, dairy or sugar - but if I do a yeast bread again I would do this one for sure. It is wonderful.

I think puah answered all your questions! Thanks mama! :)

Joyful Mommy
04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
i made this a few weeks ago, and aside from my baking it for too long (we started watching "August Rush," and didn't hear the oven ding!) and it being a little too crusty on the outside, it tasted great! i have some sitting in the fridge to bake tomorrow, and i'm excited to taste it again.

thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

Joyful Mommy
04-15-2008, 06:50 PM
i made this with dinner tonight, and it was very yummy!
i'm wondering if i can make it into one big long oval-shaped loaf instead of two loaves. has anyone else done that? how long would i need to bake it for?

puah
04-15-2008, 07:04 PM
i did the oval shape loaf once too and it was fine. it didn't seem to rise as much as when i did the two, but it rose enough and was yummy as ever. i think i still just baked it 30 mins.

naturallia
06-19-2008, 07:12 PM
must. try. this!

Blue Savannah
06-19-2008, 10:16 PM
mmmm!!!! Marking my place. . . :)

Joyful Mommy
07-09-2008, 07:19 PM
making this again tonight...it's been a while (this pregnancy has been rough on me thus far...), and i'm so excited to try this again!

herbalwriter
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I haven't had time for sourdough this week so I have the dough in the fridge for tomorrow night, too!

I hope your preg. difficulties get better... :hug2

Joyful Mommy
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Sara, I bet it will be fine. It tends to be a bit salty so you might want to go with olive oil or unsalted butter for eating it. :)

I am so glad you mamas are trying this and it is working for you!

I am now addicted to sourdough - also no fat, dairy or sugar - but if I do a yeast bread again I would do this one for sure. It is wonderful.

I think puah answered all your questions! Thanks mama! :)

can you please share the sourdough recipe?

herbalwriter
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I'll be glad to! But before I type it all out, you should know that the sourdough I do as a regular kneaded recipe by hand, not the no-knead style. :) If you still want the recipe, by all means I will gladly post it! :heart