PDA

View Full Version : Porcelain Dolls? - another organizational question

MidnightCafe
01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Anybody else have a doll collection? What do you do with them? I have about 6 porcelain dolls left from my childhood. I had more, but I got rid of the ones that were not very sentimental to me. The rest are in a box. What do I do with them? I do not have a very feminine house, no ruffly curtains or anything, and I like it that way. They wouldn't fit in with the decor very well. I almost feel like I *should* get rid of them since they're in a box, but every time I take them out I realize that I really do love them. But WHERE can I put them? Do I just hang on to them until maybe someday I have a bigger house with a special space to display them? Or save them for my girls? Or build a ledge around them top of a room to stand them on (we have high ceilings here)? :think

2sunshines
01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Or build a ledge around them top of a room to stand them on (we have high ceilings here)?

If you want to keep them, I think I'd do this. :yes

Garland
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I saved mine from when I was a girl too. I kept them for my daughter. She's too little for them yet. I sat them all on the top shelf of her bedroom closet. When she's old enough, I'll get them down for her to play with.

MidnightCafe
01-15-2008, 08:41 PM
So, do you think kids can really "play" with porcelain dolls? Maybe I should just plan to let Mane play with them someday? I've always thought of them as just for looks. :think

2sunshines
01-15-2008, 08:45 PM
So, do you think kids can really "play" with porcelain dolls?

:shrug I've always thought of them more as a collector's thing too. Something pretty to look at.

Garland
01-15-2008, 09:25 PM
I played with mine gently when I was a girl. I also displayed them on a shelf in my room to look pretty. But I have great memories of gently holding them, changing their dresses, and pretending to "mommy" them. :) I think it's great to use things rather than just look at them.

MidnightCafe
01-16-2008, 07:41 AM
I played with mine gently when I was a girl. I also displayed them on a shelf in my room to look pretty. But I have great memories of gently holding them, changing their dresses, and pretending to "mommy" them. :) I think it's great to use things rather than just look at them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I gave Mane one of the dolls I wasn't going to keep for her to play with now, but I wasn't thinking about letting her play with the others later. I need to wait until she's older, though. She can be careful, but not THAT careful. ;)

And, I LOVE your user name! I hope this isn't offensive, but I had a cat for most of my growing up years that we always just called MamaKitty, though her name was officially supposed to be Mittens. She was the best cat I've ever encountered, and your user name reminds me of what a great companion she was when I was a kid.

Garland
01-16-2008, 08:39 AM
And, I LOVE your user name! I hope this isn't offensive, but I had a cat for most of my growing up years that we always just called MamaKitty, though her name was officially supposed to be Mittens. She was the best cat I've ever encountered, and your user name reminds me of what a great companion she was when I was a kid.

Thanks. That is sweet. My kids call me that as a nickname sometimes. My kids will say "Where's MamaCat" or "Hey MamaCat!" I'm not sure how that started, but it is cute. :)