PDA

View Full Version : Unpacking and Organizing

Raspberries
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
We just moved this weekend and because it was a move within a house (meaning from an upstairs apartment to a downstairs apartment) we didn't box BOX things. Just brought them down in whatever bins and bags we had around. The place looks like a tornado hit it. The only decently cleaned room is the kitchen because I need the space to cook for the family. I feel really overwhelmed by the task of organizing a bedroom, spare room, playroom, living room, closets, desk area, shadow box/bookcase thing, and other little odds and ends. I've been avoiding it for two days with lots of cooking and baking. I'm sure my husband is enjoying the food I'm making, but I'd also like to have the house nice and clean too. About a year ago I had been using motivated moms and I plan to use that once I get settled, but I don't think it'll work for this big of a task right now.

Are there any sites that deal specifically with tackling a house after a move? I think I need someone to tell me what to do :lol

BHope
01-17-2008, 09:47 PM
My solution is not professional, so take it or leave it. But when I moved I shoved everything into the garage so that I had a blank slate to work with. Then I systematically went through each room. Starting with the most crucial rooms first. My one rule being that EVERYTHING allowed back into the house needed a home, or it was getting tossed or donated. It really helped.

abharrington
01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
i agree with the pp, both in not having any preofessional advice and in the blank slate idea. we moved into our house about 8 months ago and put almost everything into the unfinished basement. then little by little, i have decluttered and sorted and organized and only let things upstairs that have a home and a function. the basement still has come boxes and piles, but it is almost cleaned out. i know you might not be able to do that with an apt, but maybe you can pick a room, say bedroom, and move everything out of that room and then go back and fill it with what you love and want to keep. then do each room, one at a time (maybe living or family area last) and during the process, try to box up as much to give away, sell or throuw away as possible and get it out quick. i just about always have a few boxes or bags of things by my front door that are ready to leave. once it makes it into that pile, its not commin back. a one way ticket as dh likes to say :)

try not to feel overwhelmed...i dislike moving for just that reason. but in time you will be settled unpacked and decluttered. :hug2

Raspberries
01-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm making some head way. I started putting things where I would like them to end up. Meaning, toys in playroom, towels and medicines in hall closet (even just put in messy), etc. Then I went through room by room and straightened out that room. So while the closets may be messy right now, I'm going through closet by closet to organize that specific closet. So far I've completed:

Playroom
Kitchen (except for the pantry)
Spare Room (except for the spare room closet)
Bedroom
Living Room

Now I need to work on:
Desk
Closets
Pantry
Bathroom

Don't get me wrong, the closets are actually okay. They aren't overflowing with things. Just places to store "stuff" that I'm sure I could find a better home for. I'm starting to feel better. The downside to all of this is it just makes me so sore to do anything. I have to take so many breaks. Ugh! I wish I could just fly through it all!