PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with...? - organization questions

MidnightCafe
01-15-2008, 10:21 AM
What do you do with graduation robes, hats, tassels, cords, diplomas in YOUR house? Mango just graduated in December from graduate school. :jump2 I graduated right after Mane was born. I have this box of graduation memorabilia. And I don't know what to do with it.

I *just now* put all of our diploma folders (high school, undergrad, grad school) on a book shelf along with the graduation programs because they've been sitting in a box, which seems kind of silly. I don't want them hanging on the wall, and neither of us have offices where we can hang them on the wall.

But what about all the other stuff? Tassels & cords & master's hoods & robes? Should these be in garment bags in our closet? :scratch There's a strong likelihood that Mango, at least, will need his someday for participating in student graduations.

Drew
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Personally I'd keep diplomas (for obvious reasons) and cords and tassels because they're relatively small and easy to store/display. If your DH may need his robe and hood(s) I would keep them in a garment bad.

ETA- Congrats to your DH!

tree_hugger
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
But what about all the other stuff? Tassels & cords & master's hoods & robes? Should these be in garment bags in our closet? :scratch There's a strong likelihood that Mango, at least, will need his someday for participating in student graduations.

Would he be able to hire one in the future, if needed?

Honestly, I am very unsentimental and it would bug me a lot to have bulky items like that in my closet.

MidnightCafe
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Would he be able to hire one in the future, if needed?

Honestly, I am very unsentimental and it would bug me a lot to have bulky items like that in my closet.

Well, the robe isn't all that bulky. Graduation robes are pretty thin. I guess the garment bag would take up space, but we could put mine in the same bag. He *must* keep his Master's hood, even if he doesn't keep the robe, and that needs to go somewhere. I'm thinking that the closet makes more sense than a box somewhere. I'm trying to get rid of storage boxes. They aren't accessible when you need them, and I don't have anywhere to put them. Our closets are pretty full, too, but I don't think adding one garment bag will be that big of a deal. Can't you get some thin (read: cheap) garment bags at Target or something? :scratch

RubySlippers
01-15-2008, 02:09 PM
We put ours in the dress-up box. You'd be surprised the things children can act out with a robe. :shifty :giggle

2sunshines
01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I got rid of my graduation robe. I just kept the hat and tassle and put it in my memory box.

MidnightCafe
01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
ETA- Congrats to your DH!

Thanks! :)

MidnightCafe
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
We put ours in the dress-up box. You'd be surprised the things children can act out with a robe. :shifty :giggle

Well, that's what we did with our undergrad hats, and I think I gave the undergrad robes to Savers or something. But the graduate robes need to be kept nice for wearing to graduations. So, although it would be GREAT fun, I think I have to keep them out of the dress-up box.

Mother of Sons
01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
I think a garment bag would be just fine and you can find inexpensive ones at target or walmart. It will hardly take up any space in your closet.

Congrats!

2sunshines
01-15-2008, 02:52 PM
A garment bag should work well. :yes

Forgiven
01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
I think a garmet bag is a good idea.

We have ours in the coat closet all the way up against the wall. They compact down and take up relatively small amount of space. I've never even had someone notice that they are in there.

MidnightCafe
01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I went with a garment bag from Target. It was cheap & easy.

Now...off to my next organizational post... ;)

AdrienneQW
01-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I keep mine in a very thin garment bag in the back closet - then take it out and wear it for Halloween every year. :shifty Actually I rotate between that and my wedding dress... I hate to spend money on something you only wear for one day. :giggle