PDA

View Full Version : Kneading Bread (Time sensitive)

Raspberries
01-14-2008, 01:46 PM
So in this thread:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=152800.0

It was said that it takes 15 min to knead bread. I am in the middle of making bread right now by hand (FOR THE FIRST TIME!!) and I used this site to make it simple:
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/beginnersbread.htm

The problem is that there seems to be a 10 min difference in kneading time being suggested. The site says 5 minutes. I did that, and now my dough is sitting in a warm spot rising. Should I knead it another ten minutes after it's done rising to make up the difference?

hbmamma
01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
5 mins seems a bit on the low side :scratch .... usually 10-15 mins (or more) is what I've used.

How long has it been rising?

Raspberries
01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Almost an hour now. I was going to let it sit for two. Eek! I hope I didn't mess this batch up. Think I should take it out now and knead some more?

hbmamma
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
not unless you want to do another rising time.... :shrug Long rising produces a more developed flavor :yum (I made bread Saturday, allowing it to rise a total of 6-8 hours, pushing it down every 2-3 hours)

Kneading produces the gluten = chewy bread. It may be less chewy than normal, but should taste fine.

Raspberries
01-14-2008, 01:58 PM
not unless you want to do another rising time.... :shrug Long rising produces a more developed flavor :yum (I made bread Saturday, allowing it to rise a total of 6-8 hours, pushing it down every 2-3 hours)

Kneading produces the gluten = chewy bread. It may be less chewy than normal, but should taste fine.

Gotcha! I also didn't know you could let it rise that long either! Like I said this is my first, so I'm very interested to see how it all works out.

Thank you :)

hbmamma
01-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Check out www.bakerscatalog.com for some tried and true bread recipes ;) :yum

Raspberries
01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Funny enough I used their bread flour to make this batch too! :lol

Raspberries
01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Just thought I'd update that my bread came out great! I let it rise for three hours instead of two, and then baked for 45 min. Yum!