PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Bean Soup Recipes

Myrtle
01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I never cook beans, but I cooked a ridiculous amount of beans today (don't ask), and I would love to have a bean soup recipe for tomorrow's dinner. I cooked a mix of 5 different kinds of beans. I don't have any meat for flavoring, and a crock pot recipe would be the best. Please, please, please help! :doh

jenny_islander
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Try this:

Add a can or two of Italian-style stewed tomatoes, depending on dinner size. Leave on Low for as long as you need to; check periodically and add a little broth or water if needed to prevent scorching. An hour before serving, add rice to serve the number of mouths you need to feed and the amount of cooking water called for on the package.

Or add Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, heat, and serve over corn chips or cornbread. For a hearty meal, top each serving with some grated cheese, plain yogurt (we use this instead of sour cream), salsa, and chopped avocados if you can get some good ones.

Myrtle
01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
sounds yummy! Thanks. Ok, it's OT, but since I started the topic, I don't mind :giggle Why do you use yogurt instead of sour cream. I always thought plain yogurt tasted a lot like sour cream and have used it in a pinch, but is there any reason to replace it on a regular basis?

And now on to more bean recipes. Seriously, I have a lot of beans. :shifty

jenny_islander
01-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Sour cream is a lot richer than yogurt. We're trying to cut calories. We both think that low-fat cheddar cheese is utterly disgusting, but plain yogurt tastes just fine, so we buy full-fat cheese and skip the sour cream.