PDA

View Full Version : Run out of washing up liquid!

Living My Dream
01-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I have no car or local shop and i've jsut run out of washing up liquid. I wanted to get the load done so that kitchen was clear for DH coming home. Is there anything in the house I could use as an alternative?

milkmommy
01-12-2008, 08:36 AM
dish soap
vinager
baking soda

Deanna

Living My Dream
01-12-2008, 08:40 AM
whats dish soap?

milkmommy
01-12-2008, 08:48 AM
like the soap used for washing dished (hand washing)..
WAIT :doh do you mean you need to run a load of dishes like a dishwasher :doh sorry I was thinking laundry.. Do you have any thing like borax? you can do a mixture of borax baking soda

Deanna

Living My Dream
01-12-2008, 08:49 AM
sorry, its dishes as in plates and cups.

im in the uk and have no idea what borax is... sorry

Dove*
01-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Yikes! Deanna, have you tried dish soap in your dishwasher before? (Dish soap is the liquid soap you use if you are hand washing your dishes) I made that mistake once and almost destroyed my dishwasher! I don't know if the vinegar and baking soda counteract the bubbles, but I've heard only horror stories of dish soap in dishwashers. When I run out of soap, I just run it anyways. :shrug I just make sure it is on high heat.

milkmommy
01-12-2008, 08:54 AM
can you handwash them? use can use bar soap hand soap shampoo...

Deanna

Living My Dream
would salt water do good enough? im just doing the dishes in a bowl no dishawsher

Dove*
LOL! So funny how language gets us so confused. Sorry Deanna, I must have posted the same time you did.

Living My Dream
01-12-2008, 08:55 AM
:doh posted at the same time as me!

Is that safe?

milkmommy
01-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Yikes! Deanna, have you tried dish soap in your dishwasher before? (Dish soap is the liquid soap you use if you are hand washing your dishes) I made that mistake once and almost destroyed my dishwasher! I don't know if the vinegar and baking soda counteract the bubbles, but I've heard only horror stories of dish soap in dishwashers. When I run out of soap, I just run it anyways. :shrug I just make sure it is on high heat.

:giggle I miss read her first post and had "laundry" in my head not dishes :doh (just read to fast). We don't have a dishwasher but Id dffiently not put dishsoap in it if we did. :lol

Deanna

milkmommy
01-12-2008, 08:58 AM
have no idea on the salt water... Do you not even have shampoo it actually does a good job and helps cut grease..

Deanna

Living My Dream
01-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I do yes but is it safe?

crunchymum
01-12-2008, 09:39 AM
honestly i would just use really hot water. :shrug unless a soap is anti-bacterial (which is icky anyway), it doesn't "kill germs" or anything, just makes the gunk easier to get off. so, hot water and if there's some stubborn bits you can use some bicarbonate of soda (baking soda). :)

milkmommy
01-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I do yes but is it safe?

Totally just rinse well... like CM said use hot water to kill the germs I just suggest like a shampoo or somthing to cut through the grease and make things easier.
Deanna

Living My Dream
01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
thank-you. dh is goin to pick some up on the way home from work but i needed something i could do now.

Many thanks

Piper2
01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I thought "washing up liquid" was the same as dishwashing liquid (like Joy or Dawn). I know they call baking soda "bicarbonate of soda" across the pond (I usually call it "baking soda" or "Arm & Hammer").

At least that's what I get from watching "How Clean Is Your House?" on BBC America. ;)

I'm still confused, though, as to what "biological washing powder" is, though. :scratch

Marrae
01-12-2008, 12:12 PM
:giggle For washing dishes by hand we would use washing up liquid. For the dishwasher we would call it dishwasher liquid, powder or tablets.

We can buy washing powder or tablets (to put in the washing machine for laundry) either biological or non-biological. Biological contains enzymes to break down stains but non-biological washing powder does not.

HTH

Piper2
01-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks! :)