PDA

View Full Version : Color advice for kitchen (pics!)

TraceMama
01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
We moved in June and this is our new kitchen --- the table shown is not ours. It needs an update, but that's a couple of years off. However, I'm starting to think about colors and I'm pretty sure that the brick of the double oven mandates both the style and colors I can use. So, in the short-term, I want to change the hardware on the cupboards to antique bronze from brass and am planning on making curtains that are striped with dark brown and deep red (also a bit of a lighter neutral beige thrown in) --- it sounds yucky, but really is very Pottery Barnish.

Are there any other colors I can use in this kitchen besides brown, neutrals and shades of red?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/tracey72/IMG_3130.jpg
Kitchen view from family room (not our furniture or decor --- before we moved in)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/tracey72/IMG_3109.jpg
Kitchen view from foyer (before we moved in)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/tracey72/IMG_4268.jpg
My beloved double-oven....current picture

something glorious
01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
ohhhhh, i think a terracotta color would be gorgeous :yes :heart

klpmommy
01-11-2008, 07:23 PM
green :shifty :giggle

slingmamaof4
01-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I agree that certain greens would look great. Terracotta no doubt would be beautiful as well. Lovely home.

backtobasicsmum
01-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I say green too. A nice sagy green, or you could (depending on the red/brown you want to use for the curtain) use a really eye popping apple-y green color. :)

Karisa

TraceMama
01-12-2008, 03:05 PM
The problem with green is that, well, um, I'm not really a green person... :blush.....which is to say, that I really like green in other people's homes, but I've never used it in mine. :shrug I never wear it either --- it looks AWFUL on me, brings out the olive undertones in my skin and just makes me look green :doh Nate Berkus (Oprah's decorating guru) says to use colors in your house that you like to be surrounded by and even wear. With that said, green is out for me.

Any other suggestions besides terra cotta? I'm kind of a cool color girl :giggle

backtobasicsmum
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Don't like green...hey, no problem! :) I just suggested it first b/c it's my FAV! And, true to what you said, I also wear a lot of it....but....I do think blue would also work in there. If you aren't afraid of too much color, you could probably pull off a really bold, navy blue (or there are lots of other shades too! :P~)

tree_hugger
01-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I :heart red kitchens!

Teacher Mom
01-13-2008, 07:09 PM
i like the color of it now :) Maybe make the one wall at the end a deep red to bring out the brick more. But I think it is beautiful just the way it is now.

Myrtle
01-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I :heart red kitchens!

:yes

HummusDip
01-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I was going to say green, but since you don't like it...another option would be a grey tone! Greyish green, greyish silver. That would like nice in there. Or just tans, browns or a form of red! :)

TraceMama
01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the compliments! We've got a beige neutral in there now which looks good and will hold me for a while. I'm actually thinking of a really warm, buttery yellow, when we re-do the cabinets, floors, countertops, etc. The brick is staying, though :) The yellow is still warm and will go okay, I think :shrug, with the red and orange tones in the brick.

I also really love eggplant right now, but I don't think I can pull it off. :shrug

made4more
01-13-2008, 08:13 PM
if you are doing yellow for hte kitchen- what color are you changing the cabinets to? hope youdidn't already tell us, I haven't been able to read all the replies.

Teacher Mom
01-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I have a buttery yellow kitchen. I love it. So cheerful. I have also had a country blue kitchen and a sagey green kitchen. My one friend has a red kitchen. I guess like someone else said, you just have to choose what appeals to you and you can get anything to work!!!

TraceMama
01-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Sorry so late with response! If I do yellow on the walls, the cabinets would be at the lightest wood hickory and at the darkest a dark oak. The floor will be wide-planked wood --- probably the same tone as the dining room, foyer and living room (medium red oak), but maybe a touch darker? The sink will be a farmhouse kind and white. The hardware will be antique bronze and the countertops I'm still unsure about, but am considering a mid-darkish granite with browns, reds, and neutrals. So, that's what my dream kitchen would look like!