PDA

View Full Version : Teaching kids and ourselves to put it away instead of setting it down?

tempus vernum
01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I remember several times in the past people talking about requiring their children put away a toy before they take out another. Maybe I am wierd but when my children are playing peacefully together, I am typically doing my own project (cleaning usually).

So one time, we decided the new rule was things had to be put RIGHT AWAY or they went to toy jail (where toys go that people are misusing or don't pick up during pick up time). Toy jail gets emptied out the next morning :)

We tried this for about a week until I got SO SO tired of hovering over them that I gave up.

And I KNOW part of the problem is US. We don't put things away where they belong. We set them down in all sorts of places. So that's where they are learning it. Our hotspots (dh and I) are all horizontal spaces 3.5 feet and up (the desk, top of bookshelves, top of , freezer and dehydrator, etc).

Right now, i can't start doing this but since I have been on bedrest (only 3 days now), our house is filled with hotspots and stuff tossed here and there. Clothes, books, papers, etc. What's crazy is that I moved from the kitchen (lunch time) to the living room to lay on the couch and the couches were full of JUNK. I couldn't even sit down. There was a board game, books, socks, etc SO of course, I HAD to toss it down cuz I am not supposed to be cleaning :rolleyes

If you have taught your children and/or yourself how to put it away instead of setting it down, how did you do it?

mommyTay
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
:popcorn I was really hoping someone would share some inspiration.
I do pretty good at putting things away myself, but dh and the kids drop things where ever they were when they got distracted.

For us, part of it is the fact that "I CAN"T put it away yet, because I am not done". The problem is, once they get pulled from the task, they never seem to get back to finish it. Since the project never gets finished, the tools and supplies never get put away. :no2 There are tons of things around here 3/4 done.

How do you get someone to complete what they are working on and put things away when they are done?

The Tickle Momster
01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
We're getting better at this. The kids are slowly learnign that before they move on, they must put away the last task. So, recently it's been games. Before they can get out a new game, they have to put away the previous one. I don't hover, but I do come in and interupt the game and make them go clean up.

If it's a project they want to finish, i have them put the supplies away and I put the unfinished project on top of one of my hotspots. :blush You get the idea. When they are ready to resume it, they can get stuff out again.

I'm awful about it. But also getting better. Doing Motivated Moms is helping some.

MarynMunchkins
01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
:think I wonder, since you're not used to just putting it back, if it would work more effectively to plan 20 minute clean-ups a couple times a day.

At any rate, it helps us to have containers of toys that get played with one at a time. So there will be several things out (My Little Pony, GI Joes, etc.) but they can all get picked up to get up back at once. :) Having a project box works pretty well too - the supplies and tools that need to stay out for a while still get put in one space.

Having things like a stair basket, laundry hamper, diaper pail, mail sorter, multiple trash cans (not just the little ones either) on each floor of the house means that I have fewer hot spots to clean up. :)