PDA

View Full Version : Motivated Moms - tips for cleaning light fixtures

The Tickle Momster
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I need help. My light fixtures are so dusty that cleaning them is a pain! Not to mention they are flower shaped and frosted. Any tips?

tempus vernum
01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I have frosted ridged fixtures in the kitchen and they are terrible to clean. My fixture over the table has 6 globes I think :rolleyes I found the best thing is my microfleece because it gets in grooves without rasising dust. For stickies, I have no advice. Ours is too high to be anything but dusty :shifty

Jenjardin
01-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Are they removable? Mine are, and I wash them in the sink with soap and water if they get more than a little dusty.

canadiyank
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok, dude, I did this today, and I think I permanently burned my retina staring at them while I tried to clean the cobwebs. :/ Taking them off might have helped. :doh

KatieMae
01-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Right. most of the time I just dust the outside (w/ a microfiber cloth) and once in a while I take them off & wash them in the sink.

tempus vernum
01-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Right. most of the time I just dust the outside (w/ a microfiber cloth) and once in a while I take them off & wash them in the sink.

Never thought of taking them down :doh

canadiyank, did you think of doing it during the day and keeping off the lights :O This is what I do :O

Marielle
01-09-2008, 07:21 AM
I have an extendable fuzzy duster that I use for high corners, fans and ligth fixtures. It's one of those hairy looking ones that works on static electricity.

KatieMae
01-09-2008, 07:53 AM
I have an extendable fuzzy duster that I use for high corners, fans and ligth fixtures. It's one of those hairy looking ones that works on static electricity.

Smart, Marielle! :yes Much safer than me climbing up on my step ladder & reeeeeeeaching to get to the top of the globe.

canadiyank
01-09-2008, 10:25 AM
canadiyank, did you think of doing it during the day and keeping off the lights :O This is what I do :O

:shifty Then I'd have to clean when it's light out, right? I'm such a night owl, but that's a way better idea. :yes :lol

I have one of those fuzzy dusters, too, the extendable ones. :doh

Marielle
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
yeah my duster comes in handy for several reasons:

1. apparently my 6'4" hubby that has more than 14 inches on me in height CANNOT for the life of him see the cobwebs in the corner or the layer of dust that is right as his eye level.

2. I only seem to see the dust when he's not around. Thus needing something long LOL.

Oddly enough during the first year of my childrens' lives I spend the whole time nursing and finally looking up only to see tons of dust and cobwebs then being able to do nothing about it right then and there. Then I forget later. Needless to say my duster doesn't get a lot of use.

Firebird Rising
01-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Are they removable? Mine are, and I wash them in the sink with soap and water if they get more than a little dusty.

My dad does this monthly :scratch He's just like that.

Jen D.