PDA

View Full Version : Shocking! Top-loading washing machines use HOW much water?!!

Kat
12-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Dh and I were watching a documentary on water conservation. They said that top loading machines use about 48 gallons of water per load! :hunh However, front loaders use only about 14 gallons of water. I just thought this was interesting... :think

jewelmcjem
12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
I know the information on some we looked at said you would save as much water in one year as the average person uses in a lifetime!!! That seems a bit of a far-fetched claim, considering that your numbers would only be 4 times as much water, but still that's a 3/4 cut in your water bill. As soon as we get caught up on our mortgage, car payment, and back taxes, I really want to get a front-loader. Our top-loader is ancient (was dh's grandpa's) and is really making all kinds of not-good-sounding noises.

Iarwain
12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
This is yet another reason I love my front loader. I don't have a water bill, but I'm on septic and with a large family I had to ration how many loads of laundry I could wash per day to avoid overwhelming the septic tank. With the front loader it's not nearly the issue, plus my hot water heater doesn't have to heat up as much water, saving me money there. Oh yeah, and I use a lot less detergent too. A box lasts me 5-6 months now.

Barefoot Bookworm
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
*faint*I wish I would have known that before we just bought our washer and dryer. I was trying hard to talk DH into a front loader but they are so expensive he opted for the top loader... if he had known this, we would have a fancy front loader.

Kat
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
They are very expensive. I look forward to the day when we can afford a top loader as well. :yes2

tempus vernum
01-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, we got a front loader that I love for $684 including tax, delivery and set up. I shopped around and found one with a bunch of rebates then I took the info the sales person gave me and went to a store that had an ad "we beat any price". I didn't get a pedestal or the "steam" function but I do have 'stain' function.

I thought that was pretty well priced since we spent $500 on a top loader in 1998 but maybe it's expensive, I dunno :)

I love our front loader :heart It gets things SO SO SO much cleaner :)

joyful mama
01-03-2008, 11:43 PM
:jawdrop

some day... right now we need a new drier. ours works but i think its probably as old as me :shifty