PDA

View Full Version : Getting down to the *very* bare necesities

Heather Micaela
12-31-2007, 08:25 AM
I am pretty good at decluttering. I think we are now at the place where everything we have is something we need. But the problem is we have 6 1/2 people in a 2 bedroom place. And while it is supposed to be temporary, I do not know how long temproary will be.

All of the family's dressers are in the master bedroom and we all sleep in there because our roomate and son who lives here part time (hense the 1/2) now have the kids' room. However, their toys are still in that room.

We have pared down our bathroom supples (hairbrushes, etc) so that they could have some drawers, and have rearranged the kitchen to make room for their food. (His dishes are stored right now and he just uses ours).

So things seemed a bit cramped - though they are livable now. What are areas I can look to to really reduce what it is we have? One area we just attacked was our clothes. We have now managed to fit all the familys hang-up clothes except the girls' dresses into our closet. (They take up less than a 1/4 of the other closet and roomate is OK with that.) However that closet is cramped, so I think we need to get down to 2-3 jackets a piece. I think shoes are another big area. Ds only has 2 pairs, but dd has a lot, and so does dh. Ihave only a few pars, but I could get rid of one.

What other areas could I reduce in? And though I am really good at getting down to just what we need, how do I go further into "Yeah I need that, but I could make do with just this instead."?

ArmsOfLove
12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
toys--especially toys with lots of little parts

Heather Micaela
12-31-2007, 08:48 AM
I agree, but I think I need to take a break from the toy decluttering. We have been doing that almost weekly for MONTHS. It is now like trying to get blood out of a turnip and is causing quite a bit of tears. I think I will take a break for a month, let them enjoy all the new stuff, and then make another pass through at the end of January.

BHope
12-31-2007, 09:28 AM
what about in the kitchen? Are there things that can be donated? Enough to free up a cupboard? When we moved here, I tried to get rid of all those weird one-use appliances. (WHY did I have two sandwich makers?)

Heather Micaela
12-31-2007, 10:47 AM
yeah I should get rid of some duplicate cookware