PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with ground lamb?

krysmh
12-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm a vegetarian, but my hubby is not so I cook meat for him. I know he gets tired of the same old same old all the time, so when I saw ground lamb at the grocery store, I thought, "why not?" and bought it. Now I'm not sure what to do with it. :giggle

I don't think he's ever had lamb before. At first I thought I'd make lamburgers :smile but now I'm wondering if browning it up in a skillet, making a pan gravy and serving it over brown rice would be a better idea.

I'm sort of at a loss. If you've cooked with it before, what did you do with it? :)

tempus vernum
12-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Mostly we make lamb burgers because we really like lamb burgers but I think it would cook up wellwith anything that you would use ground beef or turkey for. Just at a slightly lower temperature as its very lean.

hink4687
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
jodi -
do lamb burgers sorta taste like gyros? i've always wondered if there's a way I could make those at home. :think although i've never seen lamb meat sold in a store so it might not do me any good anyways.

krysmh
01-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I ended up doing the gravy over rice thing, and he really liked it.

He said he'd like to try burgers next, so I think that's on the menu soon. He said it's a very tender meat. :D

canadiyank
01-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Gyros are shaved meat, but pressed like a hot dog or something and then shaved, so ground is different....*but* my point is I do make a gyro-like thing. I've done it a few ways, you can make a patty and grill it, or you can wrap it around a skewer and grill it that way. Then you warm a pita and either stuff the meat inside the pita, or you can the pita in pieces and eat it with it. For a dipping sauce/pita filler I drain yogurt on a towel in a bowl (change out the towel) to make "cheese" and grate a cucumber and mix it together. :yum Have some hummus and you're all set!

tempus vernum
01-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't like gyros and I do like lamb burgers. I don't remember exactly what gyros taste like though cuz it's been so long that I've tried one .

I like my lamb burgers on a sprouted bun with lettuce, tomato, grilled onion, kethcup and mustard. :yum I think dh likes them with almond cheese and onions and ketchup and mustard.

I think we put salt, pepper and garlic on/in them before pan frying or broiling :think I'll ask dh.