PDA

View Full Version : car discipline

dinam
12-24-2007, 04:58 AM
Our child goes to school in a small bus/van. Lately there have been problems. The children won't stay on their seats.
They use bad language. Throw with things like hats, mittens.
They are not listening to the drivers.
Now we are going to have a meeting as parents Thursday and I was wondering what the drivers could do to make sure the children listen to them.

There are three drivers, each one drives one week and they are volunteers. All the children are Christian. The children are 11, 9, 7, 6, four are 5 and one is 4.

So far I have thought of giving the children the same place to sit, so we as parents and drivers can decide who doesn't get to sit next to each other. But that might not work because of the big group aged 5.
And if the children are not listening to the driver could he stop the car and wait until everyone is seated/behaves?

The drivers and the parents are punitive, so I would really like to have an effective and gentle approach.

I cannot drive my child to school because I have no car.

I really hope you have some ideas about this.

:help

CapeTownMommy
12-24-2007, 07:10 AM
I don't really have advice (no experience) but I absolutely think it's fine to have the driver stop and wait until everyone is seated. It's not only appropriate, but it's safer than to keep driving while kids are out of their seats.

I assume the van has seatbelts - make a rule that the van doesn't move unless every seatbelt is fastened.

mamaKristin
12-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Bus travel can be hard. I would recommend that there be:

- assign seating
- clarify rules of proper behavior on the bus
- get a second adult to ride on the bus, and be "extra eyes and ears" while the driver is driving. It's often hard to deal with discipline issues while concentrating on driving.

mybodymyself
12-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Bus travel can be hard. I would recommend that there be:

- assign seating
- clarify rules of proper behavior on the bus
- get a second adult to ride on the bus, and be "extra eyes and ears" while the driver is driving. It's often hard to deal with discipline issues while concentrating on driving.

Dinam,

:yes to what Kristin said to you on this. :hugheart :pray4

:ty