PDA

View Full Version : Do all forms of sugar weaken your immune system?

TuneMyHeart
12-22-2007, 07:40 AM
I just assumed white, refined sugar was the culprit. What about natural sugars - honey, agave nectar, turbinado/raw sugar?

MamaMansa
12-22-2007, 10:15 AM
:popcorn I have wondered this too.

geegee
12-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I use local raw honey and have heard that it boosts immunity.

cobluegirl
12-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I think too much of any of it would not be a good thing.. however it is better for your than refined stuff.

RubySlippers
12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I am not a nutritionist, but the thought did cross my mind that honey didn't hurt John the Baptist. ;)

Rabbit
12-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Raw honey is different from processed honey, too, though.

cobluegirl
12-26-2007, 11:00 AM
totally...raw is way better.

JTB did eat honey...but I wonder how much? His immune system was likely different than ours as well just because they didn't have the foods that we have and genetically were closer to Adam than we are...

NovelMama
12-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Agave doesn't affect blood sugar the way other sugars do, so that's a good thing. It's still "empty" calories, though.

gentlemommy
12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
:popcorn I've wondered this too.

Iansmama
12-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Eating refined products weakens your immune system. Sugar cane has vitamins and minerals in it. When it is refined and turned into table sugar it is close to 100% pure carbohydrate. All the vitamins and minerals have been removed so that when you consume it your body actually leeches the vitamins and minerals from itself to process the sugar. Over consumption of refined sugar (which I believe includes raw sugar/turbinado/sucanat) leads to a nutrient deficiency which compromises the immune system.

Agave nectar and fruit juice concentrates are primarily fructose, which, consumed in large quantities, can also be damaging to your body. Fructose is actually very hard for the liver to process. When we consume it in naturally occuring quantities in fruits the amount of fructose is fairly self-limiting...one can only eat so much fruit at a time. However, when we consume straight or concentrated fructose like we would refined sugar, it can lead to problems as well.

When we need a sweetner for our foods we like to use rapadura, maple syrup, or raw honey...all products that still contain the nutrients they were designed to have, and we use as little as possible.

tempus vernum
12-27-2007, 06:36 AM
:yes to Iansmama

AFA the cane sugars - In order from "best" to "worst" the way I recall it is is --
rapadura (dehydrated)
raw (evaporated)
turbinado (slightly processed)
sucanat (a hair more processed)
fructose (more concentrated form and more processed and as iansmama mentioned not so good for the liver)
white sugar.

Again, this is just my understanding that rapadura is best, then raw, with turbinacdo and sucanat following those (close) and fructose a step up from regular old white sugar. I can't say it's correct. I am sure that according to the source I read that rapadura is best followed by raw but after that I could not be remembering correctly. AND I don't remember where I read that :O

We use mostly raw honey and maple syrup. We actually consume quite a bit of raw honey as we each try to take 1 t per day in water w/apple cidar vinegar :) ANd I take raw garlic in raw honey when I am sick. Since we use it medicinally so some months we get a lot of it :)

NOTE: We also gave up stevia because I was concerned about its contraceptive properties. :/ And I am very concerned about the affects of agave nectar on the body.

cobluegirl
12-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I thought Sucanat was the same as rapadura?

tempus vernum
12-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I thought Sucanat was the same as rapadura?

Hmmm... I am not sure. :think I remember FOR SURE that rapadura and raw were listed as top two. . . that's why I said I wasn't sure on the others. You could definitely be right. I'd love to know if the info can be found :think Rapadura is so outrageously expensive for us that we do raw (evaporated).

cobluegirl
12-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I thought raw was just a step above processed....hmmm... I dunno.

I am currently using organic cane sugar..not much better than normal cane.... I have some rapadura that I use sparingly.

TuneMyHeart
12-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Great info, thank you! :)

What exactly is raw honey? I've seen honey that's kind of cloudy and white that said it was raw. I just buy local honey. The white honey real maple syrup is sooo pricey. If you cook the raw honey, does it lose it's advantage of being raw? I usually use it in baking.

I'm using organic cane sugar right now too. I need something to sweeten tea with (hubby won't drink unsweet tea, and I'm trying to get him to stop drinking so much soda).

Rabbit
12-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Rapadura and Sucanat are not the same thing, but they are both made from whole sugar cane juice, and are both "evaporated cane juice." Sucanat, however, is not as "whole" as rapadura. Sucanat is made by separating the molasses and the sugar, and then recombining them again, so that the final product is consistent in taste and strength. It's still whole evaporated cane juice, but it's been more processed than rapadura.

I like to mix blackstrap molasses with honey, for quick breads and cookies. It's yummy, and very nutritious. Blackstrap molasses goes well with any dark or spiced goodies.

geegee
12-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Raw honey is considered raw if it only has a certain amount of processing{I dont dont know how much that is.I was told that raw honey isnt as filtered or cook at high temps.I try not to cook at high temps so my honey is still beneficial.350 degrees or lower.raw honey is antibacterial and antifungal.

tempus vernum
12-27-2007, 02:51 PM
I thought raw was just a step above processed....hmmm... I dunno.

I am currently using organic cane sugar..not much better than normal cane.... I have some rapadura that I use sparingly.

Hmmm.. interesting way this thread is going. I think raw sugar is not very high above processed but it's unbleached and evaporated whole cane sugar. I am confused because I thought rapadura was dehydrated vs evaporated. Evaporated meaning boiled until the liquid is gone, dehydrated being better as it's lower heat and less processed.

This is so funny all the info out there that is conflicting. I am going to pull out a few of my "healthy living" kind of books and see if I can find the info tonight! Right now I am NAK :nak2 so I can't

I have heard that about raw honey too - to stay under 350 for it's healing properties. :tu Thankfully most of our baked goods are 350 or under :tu Raw honey also often includes the bee pollen although sometimes it doesn't -- just depends on the brand. As local honey is also very good for managing/preventing seasonal allergies, we buy local in the spring/summer/fall and whatever we can get our hands on that's raw in the winter. I was just saying to MamaMansa today that I couldn't decide if I should drive to the apple farm (local raw honey) or just buy it through the buying club (raw honey from michigan). I and wanted to get some late season apples so if I get to the apple farm, I'll get local raw honey. But as allergy season is pretty non existant in the winter, I often do the cheapest good quality raw I can find.

krysmh
12-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I've used turbinado and sucinat, and I don't see how turbinado is less processed than sucanat. Turbinado sugar looks like regular sugar, just a little darker. Tastes just like regular sugar, with a little stronger flavor too.

HummusDip
12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I use raw organic sugar for everything that calls for sugar. Could I sub something else that would be better for us? Like raw honey? (Which I also have but only use on peanut butter and honey sandwhiches or in my tea!)

I've tried sucant but didn't like how it turned out in my recipes, like it wasn't sweet enough.

What is blackstrap molasses? And you can use it in cookies? In place of sugar?

krysmh
12-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Blackstrap molasses is really really strong tasting molasses. I don't think it would make for a good sugar substitute in recipes unless you really really love the taste of it.

Rabbit
12-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I've used turbinado and sucinat, and I don't see how turbinado is less processed than sucanat. Turbinado sugar looks like regular sugar, just a little darker. Tastes just like regular sugar, with a little stronger flavor too.

From Wikipedia:
Turbinado sugar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinado_sugar) is a type of sugar cane extract. It is made by steaming unrefined raw sugar. Turbinado sugar is similar in appearance to brown sugar but paler, and in general the two can be exchanged freely in recipes. A popular brand name is Sugar in the Raw.

Sucanat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucanat) may be confused with Turbinado sugar; however, the two are fundamentally different. Turbinado sugar contains only a trace amount of its original molasses content, making it more or less like refined sugar except with a golden color and a hint of molasses flavor. Sucanat, on the other hand, retains its full molasses content and flavor, thus making it, as stated above, pure dried cane juice. Its grainy form also contrasts with the clear, crystalline form of Turbinado.

Sucanat is a registered trademark of Ragus Holdings, Inc.[4][5]

Rapadura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapadura) is the Portuguese name for a traditional candy common in Latin American countries such as Brazil and Venezuela (where it is known as papelón) and the Caribbean. It is essentially pure dried sugarcane juice, in the form of a brick, and is largely produced on site at sugarcane plantations in the very warm tropical regions. It was originally created as an easier way to transport sugar. In Venezuela it is an essential ingredient for many typical recipes, and in some parts of the country, its use displaces refined sugar as a more accessible, cheaper and healthier sweetener.

Other ingredients may be included in its preparation, such as peanuts, condensed milk, coconut, or white sugar.

Rapadura is very rich in dietary iron.
(This article lacks references.)

So-called raw sugars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_sugar#Culinary_sugars) comprise yellow to brown sugars made by clarifying the source syrup by boiling and drying with heat, until it becomes a crystalline solid, with minimal chemical processing. Raw beet sugars result from the processing of sugar-beet juice, but only as intermediates en route to white sugar. Types of raw sugar include demerara, muscovado, and turbinado. Mauritius and Malawi export significant quantities of such specialty sugars. Manufacturers sometimes prepare raw sugar as loaves rather than as a crystalline powder, by pouring sugar and molasses together into molds and allowing the mixture to dry. This results in sugar-cakes or loaves, called jaggery or gur in India, pingbian tang in China, and panela, panocha, pile, piloncillo and pão-de-açúcar in various parts of Latin America. In South America, truly raw sugar, unheated and made from sugar-cane grown on farms, does not have a large market-share.

I'm sharing the wikipedia stuff just to share it. I'm aware that they are not the final word on any subject, and may have incorrect information.

Rabbit
12-27-2007, 05:01 PM
I use raw organic sugar for everything that calls for sugar. Could I sub something else that would be better for us? Like raw honey? (Which I also have but only use on peanut butter and honey sandwhiches or in my tea!)

I've tried sucant but didn't like how it turned out in my recipes, like it wasn't sweet enough.

Blackstrap molasses is everything that's left over, after making sugar. So it's got all of the nutrients, and a great deal less of the sugar. I use about a tablespoon of black strap molasses in a half cup of honey to substitute for a cup of sugar in recipes. It adds a lot of nutrients, even at that small amount.

HummusDip
12-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Blackstrap molasses is everything that's left over, after making sugar. So it's got all of the nutrients, and a great deal less of the sugar. I use about a tablespoon of black strap molasses in a half cup of honey to substitute for a cup of sugar in recipes. It adds a lot of nutrients, even at that small amount.

Thank you! A couple more questions, do your recipes turn out sweet still? Or do they taste like something is off? And do you do that with most or all of your recipes that call for sugar or only for cookies? I would love to have a better alternative to raw sugar, although I do love raw sugar!

kaismamma
12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
What is meant by "the contraceptive properties of Stevia?" I've never heard anything like this. Anyone use xylitol? I've heard very positive things about this, but wondering if there is anything negative....other than the price. I think our health food store sells 3 lbs for $20!

Lantern Light Mama
12-27-2007, 07:39 PM
You have all convinced me to give up refined sugar this payday, and I would like to say thank you. :grouphug

TuneMyHeart
12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
You have all convinced me to give up refined sugar this payday, and I would like to say thank you. :grouphug

:yes Now if only I could convince my husband to do the same.

HummusDip
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM

:yes Now if only I could convince my husband to do the same.

Raw sugar tastes exactly like "normal" sugar to me. My husband would have no idea if I hadn't told him. And it's only 92 cents a pound in bulk at my co-op, so I usually buy a huge bag each month and it's super cheap!

Why do you think your husband wouldn't be convinced of getting raw sugar in place of refined sugar?

TuneMyHeart
12-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Why do you think your husband wouldn't be convinced of getting raw sugar in place of refined sugar?

My hubby loves soda. He drinks it all day at work (they have free coke machines). I've been buying him soda at Whole Foods without HFCS, and he just complains about it. I finally found some that were pretty good (Blue Sky), and he agreed they weren't bad. I thought we had finally come to a compromise. :phew

A few days later, he accidentally confessed that he'd been hiding two liters of coke in the garage. :giggle

I give up. :shrug

WI Mama05
12-27-2007, 07:57 PM
:popcorn This info is great - I've been wanting to learn more :heart

Lady TS
12-27-2007, 08:15 PM
What is meant by "the contraceptive properties of Stevia?" I've never heard anything like this. Anyone use xylitol? I've heard very positive things about this, but wondering if there is anything negative....other than the price. I think our health food store sells 3 lbs for $20!

On the stevia--there have been studies where it decreased the fertility in lab rats. I don't remember HOW it did it, but it effected the hormone balance somehow. I was using it a year ago or so and used it for a few months every day in my coffee/tea and then my cycles got all wacky. I quit using the stevia and they are better now but still not like they used to be. At least now I'm not spotting a week before AF...

The xylitol, I'm not sure I'd use in large quantities either. To me, it's just as processed as white sugar. I do, however, use it for dd to help her not get ear infections. There have been studies showing it helps fend them off.

krysmh
12-27-2007, 09:00 PM

My hubby loves soda. He drinks it all day at work (they have free coke machines). I've been buying him soda at Whole Foods without HFCS, and he just complains about it. I finally found some that were pretty good (Blue Sky), and he agreed they weren't bad. I thought we had finally come to a compromise. :phew

A few days later, he accidentally confessed that he'd been hiding two liters of coke in the garage. :giggle

:lol I'm laughing because I could totally see myself doing that. :giggle I found a good soda made with evaporated cane juice. It was really expensive, but nice to have once in a while. Then they discontinued it. :mad

cobluegirl
12-27-2007, 09:01 PM
We used to drink Koala's soda... they don't make that one anymore...

musicmama
12-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Dang, and I was feeling better about using Sugar in the Raw at work! :giggle Nevermind!

For sodas, I've been sometimes getting Izze sodas at work, it's just juice and carbonated water, it seems to make me think it's soda and I don't crave it as much anymore (but I did drink a diet coke this morning :shifty)

Jones soda (you can get at Walmart) uses evaporated cane juice, I believe.

When I hve time to cook with my fresh milled wheat :sigh we use sucanat and sucanat with honey to sweeten and I've never had anyone say they can tell a difference (in a bad way). We don't drink sweet tea though, so I can't help ya there! (Shannon and I have had this discussion before! :giggle She does make delicious sweet organ tea!!)

tempus vernum
12-28-2007, 08:31 AM

Check out Lady TS's response in this thread http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=123531.0

Stevia and fertility http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=105636.0

AFA xylitol
Is Xylitol truly safe (some stevia info here too but answering the xylitol ? in this thread) http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=144056.0

HummusDip
12-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Oh goodness! I know what you mean, my dh loves soda too. But now he mostly drinks Hansens Natural Sodas, though I have no idea what's actually in them.

TuneMyHeart
12-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Jones soda (you can get at Walmart) uses evaporated cane juice, I believe.

We buy that once in a while, but it still has sodium benzoate. :(

Rabbit
12-28-2007, 11:27 AM

Thank you! A couple more questions, do your recipes turn out sweet still? Or do they taste like something is off? And do you do that with most or all of your recipes that call for sugar or only for cookies? I would love to have a better alternative to raw sugar, although I do love raw sugar!

I alter recipes all the time, so nothing really tastes "off" to me. It either tastes good or bad, but it's not necessarily ever the same as a model cookie. We worked our way slowly off of sugar, by eating lots of fruit instead of sweets, then using stevia instead of sugar, until we're eating now lots of vegies, and not so much fruit, and we don't use stevia at all. We use honey in our tea.

Blackstrap molasses has a licorice root taste. It's fantastic in gingerbread. You wouldn't want it in white bread. I use blackstrap molasses in tomato dishes, and whole grain products like oatmeal cereal, quick breads and cookies. I have not yet used it in a yeast bread, as the yeast does need sugar to do its work, and I'm not up to having to throw away experimental loaves. Start with a tsp of blackstrap to replace one tablespoon of sugar, and see how it works out. Any recipe that calls for "packed brown sugar" I use 3/4rds to 1/2 the called for amount, and then add a tablespoon or two of the molasses.

I like to mix it with honey, when I use honey to sub for sugar, and as honey is a lot sweeter than sugar, I have to use a lot less honey, so it's not a one to one substitute.

Post a particular recipe, and we could all work on the options available to make it in a healthier way.

HummusDip
12-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Thank you so much Rabbit, I will do that with my next recipe and see what options I have! :)

Lantern Light Mama
12-28-2007, 08:55 PM
You will be proud of me, because due to this post I threw away my refined sugar, and purchased raw honey, and unprocessed sugar.

rstump
12-28-2007, 09:14 PM
That is awesome...more than a baby step....A GIANT LEAP! :woohoo

tempus vernum
12-28-2007, 09:38 PM
That is awesome...more than a baby step....A GIANT LEAP! :woohoo

:yes :jawdrop amazing :tu

Lantern Light Mama
12-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm so excited. I really want to see some positive changes in how I feel physically, and emotionally.

Proverbs31
12-28-2007, 09:44 PM
And I am very concerned about the affects of agave nectar on the body.

Haven't heard about this; could you please share more details? Thanks! :popcorn

krysmh
12-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Can you get raw honey in a health food store? I've never looked. :scratch

I've tried to find local raw honey for my allergies, but can't find any. :no2

rstump
12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Can you get raw honey in a health food store? I've never looked. :scratch

I've tried to find local raw honey for my allergies, but can't find any. :no2

I would check with your local beekeepers association.

(not sure if you are in Texas right now or not....but here is an example)

http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/indexDynFrames.htm?http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/Navigation/SideBar.htm&0

Lantern Light Mama
12-28-2007, 10:11 PM
I just bought some in Austin at Whole Food near the Arboratuem (if your in Texas :giggle).

krysmh
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm in Texas, but pretty far from Austin.

There's a local contact here though, so maybe I'll call him. :smile

BHope
12-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know where a person can purchase rapadura in bulk?

tempus vernum
12-28-2007, 10:36 PM
In this thread there is info on agave nectar.

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=126397.0

Lantern Light Mama
12-28-2007, 10:38 PM
The raw honey taste so different! I was expecting the flavor to be as it is! :P~

rstump
12-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I have really gotten into different flavors of raw honey. Right now I have wildflower, lime, orange & tupelo. I LOVE tupelo...of course the most expensive. Orange is a little too strong for me...but it is the most local so I take it when the orange trees bloom to help my allergies.

cobluegirl
12-29-2007, 10:07 AM
I get my wild honey at the normal grocery store

Lantern Light Mama
12-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm really dragging today without all of the refined sugar, and gluten but in a weird way I feel better mentally. Techinically, Im just going gluten free a little at a time, but I am feeling a difference. :)