PDA

View Full Version : alternative to dryer sheet

rowansmom
12-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm looking for a way to eliminate static from my laundry. what can I use instead of dryer sheets?

klpmommy
12-20-2007, 07:57 AM
get these

http://www.amazon.com/Dryer-Magic-Fluff-Balls/dp/B0009FZJNY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1198162568&sr=8-2

I have five in my dryer & I only have static with things like microfiber or the alpaca blanket that dh bought in Ecuador. A regular load of towels has no static at all. You definately need more than 2, but they are supposed to last for a couple of years so even though there is a larger initial investment I think overall it is less.

simplegirl
12-20-2007, 08:06 AM
They look really cool. I'd definitely make the investment. I really dislike static in every load! Is there any chemicals in them like there are in dryer sheets?

milkmommy
12-20-2007, 08:07 AM
or you can do my method of just ingnoring the landry in the dryer for a few days. No static after sitting that long :shifty

Deanna

klpmommy
12-20-2007, 08:07 AM
no chemicals, they are just plastic bumpy balls. My kids want to play with them. You can also get them at bed,bath& beyond with a coupon. That is how I got mine.

me
12-20-2007, 08:12 AM
:yes I got mine free with a box of Nellies soap, it has something like 100loads in a tiny box, our skin really loves it too. My dh bought a box of cheer when we ran out and even he admits to itching.
http://www.nellieslaundry.com/Dryerballs.html

Eta:A mom here once mentioned running a wire hanger through the load when it was done to get rid of static.

RiverRock
12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Does a vinegar rinse in the wash help. I think I used to do that instead of liquid softener. :scratch Now I use half an unscented dryer sheet only in loads where I think lint might be a problem (tissue in the pocket or fluffy sweater).

rowansmom
12-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Does a vinegar rinse in the wash help. I think I used to do that instead of liquid softener. :scratch Now I use half an unscented dryer sheet only in loads where I think lint might be a problem (tissue in the pocket or fluffy sweater).

I was wondering about vinegar too i thought i had read about it once

jewelmcjem
12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
IMO, vinegar is a great fabric softener but does nothing for static. I've reverted back to dryer sheets for the static issue, dh hates static! I'll have to check out those laundry balls.

righteous mama
12-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I use the dryer balls and a half of a Shaklee dryer sheet. It makes everything soft and un-static'y.

rowansmom
12-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I use shaklee vitamins how are they as far as chemicals in thier laundry stuff?

righteous mama
12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Have you tried any of their Get Clean line? It is all very, very safe. http://www.ecofriendlyhome.net It's very "green" and eco-friendly. I love it.

Who do you order from? (I wonder if I know them...)

rowansmom
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM
my mom. she's been in shaklee since I was six

me
12-20-2007, 02:31 PM

It worked great for me! I tried it after reading it here somewhere. I just do so much laundry I would have to buy a huge bottle :giggle Once we are out of the hotel and back in a house Ill probably go back to using it. Right now I dont have to do winter blankets that tend to get static. Not sure how the dryerballs would work on those. But ya, the vinegar worked here :yes I would just put in about 1/4c of regular white vinegar, never really measured exact......

crunchymum
12-20-2007, 02:33 PM

It worked great for me! I tried it after reading it here somewhere. I just do so much laundry I would have to buy a huge bottle :giggle Once we are out of the hotel and back in a house Ill probably go back to using it. Right now I dont have to do winter blankets that tend to get static. Not sure how the dryerballs would work on those. But ya, the vinegar worked here :yes I would just put in about 1/4c of regular white vinegar, never really measured exact......

does the laundry smell like vinegar?

me
12-20-2007, 02:40 PM
:no Ive also used vinegar as a rinse in the shower for my hair. For some reason, once it dries there is no odor whatsoever! Its naturaly fragrance free once dried :giggle.... :shrug :)........

righteous mama
12-20-2007, 02:41 PM
my mom. she's been in shaklee since I was six

That's awesome. I'm signed up under my mom. They've been using Shaklee since I was in junior high...which was a long time ago. My sister is signed up under me...it's a big family affair!

righteous mama
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Oh, you should try their fabric softener for the washer, too. I cannot live without it. It smells light and yummy...the dryer sheets have no smell. Between it all my laundry comes out really soft and static-free.

crunchymum
12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Oh, you should try their fabric softener for the washer, too. I cannot live without it. It smells light and yummy...the dryer sheets have no smell. Between it all my laundry comes out really soft and static-free.

i need to order soon... :yes

canadiyank
12-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I like the Shaklee sheets. :) I've been using them, almost out, but have a box of Bounce F&C to finish then will order some more. I keep eyeing the balls, but I read the Consumer Reports thing that said they were useless. :think

righteous mama
12-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I like the Shaklee sheets. :) I've been using them, almost out, but have a box of Bounce F&C to finish then will order some more. I keep eyeing the balls, but I read the Consumer Reports thing that said they were useless. :think

I actually found it did half the job...that's why I decided throw in a half sheet of my Shaklee dryer sheet. Between the two it works very nicely. I'd like to get more balls (hmmm). I have two right now (gosh, this conversation is sketchy)...and I'd like to get at least two more.

klpmommy
12-20-2007, 03:13 PM
two didn't do much, which is why i have 5. more is def better

righteous mama
12-20-2007, 03:14 PM

Yeah, I'm sure five would do it. I love them. Although I have to chase my three year old down to find them. ;)

klpmommy
12-20-2007, 03:21 PM

Yeah, I'm sure five would do it. I love them. Although I have to chase my three year old down to find them. ;)

we have that problem, too. notice i have an odd #? there is a reason for that ;)