PDA

View Full Version : Why are my towels stinky?

kiloyd
12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
My towels do not smell fresh. I wash them with our clothes and the clothes seem fine. I currently use All Free and Clear.

After using the towels once or twice, they are stinky.

Any ideas?

Ali
12-19-2007, 10:07 PM
I would guess they might have some mildew. Do you wash everything on hot? I would run the towels through by themselves on hot and see if that helps. Also dry them on the hottest setting. That will kill any remaining mildew and keep it from growing again.
When my towels are stinky that always helps!

kiloyd
12-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.

I wash everything on warm or cold.

They did smell a bit better when I was hanging everything outside over the summer

ShangriLewis
12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Towels are like cloth diapers. They need to be stripped. I wash them with laundry until they seem stinky. Then I wash them all on hot, long wash. All builds up really easily just so you know. You might try a bit of dishsoap or water softner with the towels to see if that helps.

I miss hanging my laundry. They seem so much cleaner during the summer.

TwinMommy03
12-21-2007, 04:42 PM
I also add baking soda to my loads of towels every time and wash on hot and make sure they are thoroughly dry before folding and putting away. :yes

righteous mama
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Oh, this is good to know. I have a few older towels that need to have this done. We can't afford new ones, and they are rather old, but a good strippin' might be the trick.

schmamy
12-21-2007, 11:15 PM
How much detergent are you using? My mom's towels always stink. I think it's a combination of too much detergent and super-soft water.

kiloyd
12-22-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't even measure my detergent now that I have a front loader. I just pour enough to cover the bottom of the dispenser. Maybe 1/4 c or less.

Soliloquy
12-22-2007, 09:04 AM
How & where are you hanging them in the bathroom? My mom's towels are always stinky (yuck, I hate that!) becasue she hangs them on hooks behind the bathroom door. The door is almost always open so there's not enough air circulation.

It's not as pretty, but we hang our towels on the towel bar, unfolded, or over the shower rod, unfolded, until they are completely dry. Then, if we're having company or somehting I fold them nicely on the towel bar so it looks nicer.

And a hot, hot wash and a hot dry should really help--if it doesn't, try a chlorine-free "bleach." Another option is Sport Wash.

loveberry
12-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Mine got less stinky when I put less in the wash but left the water level on the highest setting. Plus everything everyone else says, don't hang where they bunch, hot water, etc.

kiloyd
12-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I always hang them out without folding so they can dry better. And since a previous poster mentioned it, I think it is just my older towels that stink.

I'm going to try the hot wash this week.