PDA

View Full Version : do you use glass drinking glasses, and, if so, how long do they last?

flowermama
12-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I feel silly posting this, but here goes. :O Do you use glass drinking glasses, and, if so, how long do they last? I would love to use glass ones, but we keep accidentally breaking them. :blush Do you have any suggestions? :shifty :O Sometimes the kids drop them and that is why they break, but it's not just them.... the adults break them sometimes, too. :O Does anyone else have this problem? :O

crunchymum
12-19-2007, 03:31 PM
we do... we use cheap ikea ones, because we're all little clutzy around here. :shifty i don;t know how long they last, though... it's awful, but i would say by the time a year goes by we've gotten new ones. :blush

zak
12-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I have 4 short and 4 tall really thick/heavy glass glasses for drinking. I think I bought them in 2002-ish and they are all still intact. :)

I've dropped them before... :bag and they didn't break. :)

eta: I got them at Wal-Mart (they were cheap).

Dana Joy
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
We break alot around here too- I saw an idea on Hathor that I keep on meaning to try. Mason jars as glasses- and then clean socks on the outside- keeps them from breaking, and from slipping out of hands.

Wonder Woman
12-19-2007, 03:35 PM
we use mason glasses a lot, plus really heavy cheapo ones from Walmart. I hate plastic cups :shiver

Mrs. Potatohead
12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
After 10 years of breaking my glass drinking glasses, I bought Mason jars. Twenty-four of them. That was back in 1998, so 9 years ago. I think we've broken one. They are indestructible!!! I mean, I have five kids, four of whom are boys who are not terribly cautious. We've even bounced a few off of a tile floor (by accident, of course). Not even a crack. I don't remember how the one broke. Anyway, I LOVE my Mason jars-turned-drinking-glasses!!

ETA: LOL--two posts while I was posting about Mason jars! Great minds....

rosesnsnails
12-19-2007, 03:47 PM
My fil is a restaurant owner and gave us some very thick restaurant grade glasses. They last a lot longer than your average glass. In fact, we have not broken or chipped one in the ten years we have used them.

tnaallen
12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
well, we've been married 6 1/2 years and are on our 2nd set of glasses. Although, these ones are thin and I don't like that. Two have been broken now. :( I want to replace them soon and I totally agree that the thicker ones are the way to go. Not too mention, it's not just dropping them that is a concern; my BIL was over and was getting ice from the despenser in our fridge door and just the ie comign out broke the glass. :jawdrop Talk about cheap (I always get the cheapoies at Walmart too ). So thick next time for us. ;)

But we use glass and love it.

blessedwithboys
12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
We had thick ones from Target for our wedding (I think they were called "Pub Glasses") They broke in weird ways w/in a year- just on their own!!! Now we use the mason jars w/ handles that my Dad likes to buy jam in :giggle- my parents have a full set of 10 and we've probably got 12. It's our family recycling program! They're fantastic and we've only broken one or two. They never just spontaneously crack like the ones that were bought did! :shrug

Iarwain
12-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Regular ones usually last a year or so. Sometimes I'll see cute glasses at a garage sale and spend a dollar or two on them. We do the Mason jar thing too and also use our Corelle teacups a lot for little people.

AdrienneQW
12-19-2007, 04:42 PM
:doh Why did I never think to use my Corelle teacups for Smidget??? Great idea, thanks! :tu

We use heavy duty glass drinking glasses we got at IKEA 2/$1. We've been using them since 2004 and have yet to break one.

doubleblessings
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
This is the kind we have.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V6W5Y2?smid=A1H5N2R2HL9LG2&tag=nextag-kitchen-mp-20&linkCode=asn

They have lasted well. The thin glasses with narrow mouth's always broke on us until we got this kind. A few have broken, but nothing like the others. And my kids use mugs (if they aren't using plastic :shifty)

Havilah
12-19-2007, 05:05 PM
we buy ours at the restaurant supply store. they are really sturdy!

i also like the mason jar idea. :tu

HEmomma
12-19-2007, 05:18 PM
We really like glass drinking cups. That being said, we have 1. We got a nice set of 8 new glasses for Christmas last year from our good friends. Nearly one year later we are down to one. :no

Soliloquy
12-19-2007, 05:21 PM
We use glass but I always looks for ones that are really sturdy and thick. Pre-kids we had some that were thin and even though we didn't drop them, they broke while being washed or even being put away. The set I have now is 2 years old and we haven't broken any. They're from Old Time Pottery.

For the kids we use mugs (once they outgrow a sippy) :tu

MomTo7
12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I have 4 short and 4 tall really thick/heavy glass glasses for drinking. I think I bought them in 2002-ish and they are all still intact. :)

I've dropped them before... :bag and they didn't break. :)

eta: I got them at Wal-Mart (they were cheap).

:yes I must have the same ones...bought from walmart about 2003 and still look great and all in one piece.

greendelight
12-19-2007, 06:16 PM
We use mason jars too. Hmmm...all this time I thought I was being really creative. :giggle

SamsMama
12-19-2007, 06:17 PM
We actually use handmade pottery for all of our dishes, glasses included, if you can believe that! Dh has a habit of breaking it, but he tries to be careful. My kids are too young to use it now though and still use sippy cups and character dishes. Not sure what I'll do when they're old enough!

cindergretta
12-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Dh and I use glasses and the kiddos use plastic tumblers. I can't stand drinking out of plastic! :yuck

blessedwithboys
12-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I forgot to add- for the kids we have little glass character tumblers (ours are Curious George) that jam comes in. I guess I have a jam jar theme :giggle. When I was little my mom used the little glass tumblers that soft cheese (like what you use to make a cheese ball) comes in for us kids. :heart

Iarwain
12-19-2007, 07:43 PM
I forgot to add- for the kids we have little glass character tumblers (ours are Curious George) that jam comes in. I guess I have a jam jar theme :giggle. When I was little my mom used the little glass tumblers that soft cheese (like what you use to make a cheese ball) comes in for us kids. :heart
Oh oh the ones with a star on the side that were really narrow? We used to use those! What a sweet trip down nostalgia lane remembering that. :heart

Blue Savannah
12-19-2007, 07:45 PM
We use mason jars too. Hmmm...all this time I thought I was being really creative. :giggle

:lol me too!

blessedwithboys
12-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh oh the ones with a star on the side that were really narrow? We used to use those! What a sweet trip down nostalgia lane remembering that. :heart

YEAH! Those are the ones! I love it that you remember too! :hearts I noticed the other day at the grocery store that you can still get them. My Grandma has them at her house too. :yes

RubySlippers
12-19-2007, 07:53 PM
We currently use thicker Corelle glasses.
We've used POM tea glasses for glassware. They are thick and sturdy, but so slim that they could only be cleansed by dishwasher.

ShangriLewis
12-19-2007, 07:58 PM
We use the juice size glasses. They are usually sturdier. We used to have a bunch of the large glasses that look like beer glasses, but we broke them all. The juice glasses are going really well. I've found some at the dollar store. But, the last ones I bought in a four pack at Fred Meyer. They were 4 or 5 for the set. They are thick with nice heavy bottoms. My children use them as well.

A bonus is less waste.

AdrienneQW
12-20-2007, 01:27 AM
I found some adorable child-size glasses (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60081734) at IKEA today - they're 3" high and hold 5oz. They appear very sturdy - we'll see how my kidlets do with them.

flowermama
12-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Wow! This is really great! What wonderful ideas! Thank you all so much (and it's good to know we are not alone in our experience with glass glasses :O). :rockon