PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating Foods

Littledisciples
12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I got this thing a while back with all sorts of plans :giggle Ok so they didn't happen. I got a huge bag of onions and I was thinking of how I can use them up. So I thought ok get out that dehydrater and dehydrate them. I figure I could use them for soups and seasoning meals up. :phew Ok so any one have any other good ideas. Because I want to start preserving some food around here. I am sure their are more recipies then I know. I got this at a yard sale so their is no recipie book. Well here goes the first dryed onion experement :shifty ;) LOL :nails I am nervous how it will turn out but hey gotta start somewhere.

HuggaBuggaMommy
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
I've dehydrated onions just like that, simply sticking them in the dehydrator. They've turned out fine.

(I've also sauteed extra onions and froze them in 1 cup portions, so I wouldn't have to do it later.)

puah
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
i've done tomatoes and peaches and made fruit leather and it all came out great and SO easy. did you like your onions?

arelyn
09-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I got a dehydrator for my birthday this year. So far we've dried peaches (good), plums (ok), blueberries (messy but good), apples (good), pears (a little tough), and watermelon (sounds weird but it's like candy), and a little sweet corn as an experiment. We're going to try peppers as soon as we get our bulk box.

Lily
09-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Google dehydrator recipes if you really want step by step instructions.

I've done fruit leather, bananas, tomatoes, mangoes, watermelon, jerky, oranges, peaches and apples.

michelle
09-28-2008, 09:22 PM
I dehydrate apples, bananas, and grapes.

Dehydrating onions sounds like a good idea. I guess this week I will have to try that.

arelyn
10-07-2008, 06:02 PM
OMGoodness!! I just dehydrated yellow cherry tomatoes and they are awsome!! I can't wait to top a pizza with these guys!! I highly recommend it and it was really easy. Just slice them in half and put them in on 135. :tu

Oh, and the dehydrated corn experiment officially failed. They molded big time. :sick

tempus vernum
10-08-2008, 05:21 AM
OMGoodness!! I just dehydrated yellow cherry tomatoes and they are awsome!! I can't wait to top a pizza with these guys!! I highly recommend it and it was really easy. Just slice them in half and put them in on 135. :tu

:think In most of the books I've read you should stay betw 105 and 120 to avoid vitamin loss :think -- do you think that high is absolutely necessary. I'd love to try this with some of the extra tomatoes I have.

I dehydrate a lot - fruits, veggies, meats, nuts, seeds, cookies :yum

I also was :jawdrop that your corn failed :( Bummer. WHen my friend made it, it turned out wonderfully. I freeze my corn so I haven't done it.