PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Pie (no meat, very filling!)

Godsmightymama
12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
**Easy** This is a yummy and very healthy recipe I got from my mama. These are all ingredients we keep on hand and can throw together anytime. We have a family of three and this definitely will be two nights dinner for us or you could freeze your second unbaked pie. I eyeball almost everything so it will depend how much you like each ingredient)

Mexican Pie

1 can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can Red Beans (drained and rinsed- don't use dark red)
1 can Chili Beans ( whole can)
1/2 can Rotel (drained)
Mozzerella Cheese
Cheddar Cheese
2 Deep Dish Pie Crusts or 2 10in (whichever you prefer) (I have been making my own butter crust to eliminate hydrogenated oils)
4 Flour Tortillas (you will need taco size if you choose deep or burrito size cut down to size if you choose 10in- it will need to perfectly fit the inside round of the pie.) (I have a new recipe to eliminate hydrogenated oils- will share if you want)
garlic
onion
red pepper

Saute onion, red pepper and garlic. Add rotel and beans and simmer until bubbly. Spoon a thin layer of bean mixture along the bottom of each pie crust and cover with each type of cheese. Place a tortilla on top and repeat another layer then cover the top with one more tortilla. I brush egg white on top and sprinkle with salt to make shiny. Bake at 350' for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for atleast 10 minutes. We top each pie slice with sour cream and salsa. Yum-O!

illinoismommy
12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
that sounds good I will have to try it :)

tempus vernum
12-29-2007, 09:51 AM
what is rotel?

Katigre
12-29-2007, 10:03 AM
That does sound very good!!!

Rotel is a brand of spicy canned tomates with chilies mixed in, it comes in a little can and is good in many mexican recipes.

KatieMae
09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Bumping this back to the top of the forum - I made this tonight & it was DELICIOUS! :rockon

Kyasmom
09-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Ooo, thanks. I will have to try that! :rockon