PDA

View Full Version : what do you do for a (smelly) closet?

Oliveshoots
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
DDs closet is huge, so it is where I stash her clothes, my hanging clothes, my shoes, and lots of other "stuff". (Mostly my collectible Barbies/Lucy dolls, my organization notebooks-yet-to-be-completed, shoeboxes of clippings and stuff for scrapbook, easter baskets, old LPs, and a basket of stationery/cards. And a few plastic tubs of old toys/baby clothes I'm keeping for keepsakes (getting rid of those is not an option. :wink )

So the smell is probably a combination of my shoes :O and some of the old records and the cardboard boxes. It's not the kind of smell that :sick I can't stand to walk in there, but you'd think with a closet of 90% freshly laundered (the other 10% laundered a month or so ago) clothing, it would smell a little more fresh.

So what do you do to make your closets smell fresh and nice? I don't want to do mothballs, as that would be a :sick smell for me. I'd llike to do some lavender, but not sure if a sachet or something would last.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I usually keep the door to it open, since it is pretty organized and we can walk into it, unless we have company over, then I close it. Eventually when I get the baby clothes I'm giving to SIL out of there, the front part will become a play tent for dd.

rstump
12-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I would but a box of baking soda in and a few sachets with whatever essential oil you like.

I put lavender and tangerine oil on a little cloth into my dryer.

crunchymum
12-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I would but a box of baking soda in and a few sachets with whatever essential oil you like.

I put lavender and tangerine oil on a little cloth into my dryer.

:yes you can actually just mix together some EO and baking soda in a little tray or pan and stick it right in there.

hink4687
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I've also taken a few non-scented dryer sheets and added lavendar oil drops to them and placed them around in places. (Or just buys ones that you like the scent of ;)) You could even throw one in your shoes that are extra stinky. Then just throw out the dryer sheets when the smell goes away and grab a new one.

lmgeenw
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Do the dryer sheets or baking soda prolong the life of the essential oils? :think I put some EO on cotton balls in my dresser drawers and it only lasted for about a week.

rstump
12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Do the dryer sheets or baking soda prolong the life of the essential oils? :think I put some EO on cotton balls in my dresser drawers and it only lasted for about a week.

No not really...I think a week is about all it will last exposed to the air.

RiverRock
12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I learned this from my mil: Buy smelly bars of soap (a smell you like...but a strong smell...I use Irish Spring) and either open an end of the box, or take the entire bar out and place at the back of a shelf in the closet. The bars will release scent over months, and are hardened so later when used in the tub they won't melt away as quickly. I've actually received compliments on the smell of my closets. :rockon

hink4687
12-17-2007, 02:13 PM
I learned this from my mil: Buy smelly bars of soap (a smell you like...but a strong smell...I use Irish Spring) and either open an end of the box, or take the entire bar out and place at the back of a shelf in the closet. The bars will release scent over months, and are hardened so later when used in the tub they won't melt away as quickly. I've actually received compliments on the smell of my closets. :rockon

that's a great idea! i'm going to try this.

greendelight
12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
That is a great idea! I love the smell of Irish Spring!