PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a weaned toddler

Allison
12-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I'm lost. Ryan weaned at 15 months. I've finally gotten over my upset about that and now I'm starting to see the consequences of him weaning so early. He tantrums all the time and seems generally unhappy. I know this fussy, clingy toddler thing is normal for his age but I was able to nurse his older brothers through it. While that didn't make it a breeze, at least I had something comforting to offer them and we both got a few moments of peace.

If I remember correctly, their nursing picked up big time around the age of two. Alex didn't make it to 2.5, but Drew was a nursing fiend by 2.5. This says to me that Ryan is missing out on that and it is part of the reason that comforting him is so hard. He won't always allow me to hold him. He fights me when he's upset.

I need suggestions! (I've tried and tried to get him interested in nursing again to no avail. :()

Mother Duck
12-06-2007, 05:36 AM
What about a cuddle with a book? My 2y 2m old weaned due to my pregnancy at about 18mths has just started nursing again :yes It is hard when they don't have nursing as a comfort tool. :hug

Novella
12-06-2007, 05:37 AM
Can you offer him a comfy, safe place to be upset while you sit close by? Maybe offer his cuddles when he's ready? :hugheart

Allison
12-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've never offered to read to him when he's upset. I'll try that. If he would just let me hold him and comfort him it would be so much better for everyone involved. :(

Marsha
12-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Have you tried food? A handful of fruit snacks is proving very useful at ending tantrums here and I don't feel as though I'm setting up "comforting with food issues" I hope not anyway. It just seems that low blood sugar makes it easier to cry about things than anything else.

Allison
12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
You know, Drew is a bear when he's hungry, so maybe that's a good idea.

Marsha
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
You know, Drew is a bear when he's hungry, so maybe that's a good idea.

I learned from Ainslee, her swings are even more dramatic.

ladybug
03-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Does he have a comfort object? blankie or stuffed animal or toy?
Maybe offering that or a *special* one for those times, would help?