PDA

View Full Version : Gardening for kids--party favors

ronioli
12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
My playgroup is hosting a baby shower for one of the moms who is due early next year. With other baby showers with this group, I try to make favors that the moms can do with their kids since they are what brought us together in the first place and it's always fun to get something you can actually use! For example, the last baby shower, the favors were cookie cutters with a sugar cookie recipe so the moms and kids could make cookies together. I want to do something with gardening this time around since the mom-to-be has a large garden and is always passing on zucchini to us. :) I was thinking a packet of seeds with a small flower pot? What kind of seeds would work best? I think seeds that grow pretty fast would be best so the kids can watch them grow.

Thank you in advance...I don't know anything about gardening and only have one plant in my whole house!

The Tickle Momster
12-06-2007, 08:30 AM
What about marigold or zinnia seeds?

canadiyank
12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Marigolds are excellent and grow fairly quickly. Also, if she's due in the Spring, spring bulbs might be kind of cute. I saw a thing at Fred Meyer yesterday with forced bulbs. Also, you can get little crocuses or something and then plant them in the ground after. They will bloom once in a pot but they are hard to get to bloom the next year (they need chilling and stuff) so I always just plant them in the ground. :)