PDA

View Full Version : Need help with decorating bathroom

TraceMama
12-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Here's a pic of our new bathroom --- we moved in June. Yep! That amazing late '60's peach color complete with faux marble countertops! UGH! It's awful. I want to gut the whole thing and start over, but the budget probably won't allow that for at least a year or two, so what to do in the meantime?

I think if I paint the walls something other than peach it'll be a good start to making it more tolerable, but WHAT goes with this color?! :/ :think

Help me please..... :scratch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/tracey72/IMG_3139.jpg

MarynMunchkins
12-06-2007, 07:02 AM
:scratch I think, honestly, I'd just go for a very plain neutral. The countertop and floor combo have me lost for another color. :shifty

Drew
12-06-2007, 07:10 AM
How would you describe your decorating style?

ETA- I think you're really going to have to do something with the counters in order to find a complementary color (that you like!) for the walls. Check out this link about painting your laminate counters. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html Scroll down for directions and some after pictures. They look really great. Not sure if this would work on the basin though. That may have to be replaced at some point.

Painted counters, walls, and a nice area rug should go a long way toward a relatively inexpensive 'renovation'. You could always replace the tile and hardware later if you want.

The Tickle Momster
12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I always think peach and light mint go well together. :bag That might not be your style though. Could you do a neutral paint and then a seashell/beach theme?

klpmommy
12-06-2007, 09:01 AM
you think that is bad? next time you come over i will show you our master bath countertops.

seashells, ocean :yes

TraceMama
12-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Like I said, I really want to replace the tile, the tub, the hardware, the peach toilet :hunh, the countertop, etc. But, in the meantime, I'm thinking of just painting the vanity a dark brown, maybe replacing the countertop with some clearance formica and doing the walls in a very neutral brownish/beige. I could probably go as dark as cocoa, but I don't want it to look dark in there either. Mint green is out for me, though I have considered dark teal as an accent color, assuming the walls were a neutral. Oh, how I'd LOVE to gut the whole thing!!!!!

crunchymum
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
well, if you can't beat em you could join em.... put in black accents and make it a "retro" bathroom... :giggle

hink4687
12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
I would go with a mocha brown on the walls. I love brown walls in all shades...I think its such a pretty and trendy color right now. Plus...it looks like there might be brown flecks in the countertops?? And if you gonna paint the vanity a dark brown you could use a dark brown shower curtain too.

RiverRock
12-07-2007, 08:12 PM
:think My first thought was to go monocromatic. You need to stick with the peach of the tile, but if you take that peach colour and go down to a light tone it would be a sunny neutral colour. A light beige with a yellow undertone... I think if you go too dark on the walls the floor will pop out even more. For a shower curtain and bath mat I would try a warm toned white. I'm assuming the house has white mouldings and a door, so this would be consistent. For accents the dark teal could be good, but it should have the same tonal value as the floor. The right kind of burgundy (kind of a brownish-burgundy) could also work well as an accent colour without adding too much busyness. Or, if you went for darker walls, a chocolate brown mat and matching shower curtain would "ground" the room. :shrug

mom2threegirls
12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
blue on the walls would be a terrific accent with the floors and counters (if you keep them. i'd paint over the laminate if it were me.... ;)). there are so many beautiful shades of blue and any of them would look great- a nice soft blue that would almost be a neutral, a violet blue, a darker blue. I think a nice soft blue would be really pretty! Your cabinets look nice!