PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cookies

RealLifeMama
12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
As we all start baking for the holidays, lets share some of our favorite cookies for special times.

I am making Chocolate Mint Cookies today. I got the orginal version from Allrecipes and modified it.

Chocolate Mint Cookies

This should make about 5 dozen.

1-1/2 cups butter
3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp peppermint extract (or to taste)
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 (4.5 ounce) packages
chocolate covered thin mints (Andes)

In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the sugar, butter and water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from heat, stir in the chocolate chips until melted and set aside to cool. Add peppermint extract to taste.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in bowl, set aside.
Pour the chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl, and beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture.
Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets if needed. Roll cookie dough into balls (a rounded TBS works nicely- I use a pampered chef medium scoop. ) place 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, be careful not to overbake. They will start to crackle on top.
Unwrap your mints while cookies are baking.
When cookies come out of the oven, Press half to one whole mint wafer into the top of each cookie and let sit for 1 minute. When the mint is softened, swirl with the back of a spoon or toothpick to make a pattern with the green filling of the mint wafer.

expatmom
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Mmm, those sound good!

Favourites at our house are sour cream cookies and date filled oatmeal cookies. (I'm in the wrong room to reach the recipes right now, but I could post them if anyone is interested.)

rstump
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Those mint cookies sound sooo yummy.

Mmm, those sound good!

Favourites at our house are sour cream cookies and date filled oatmeal cookies. (I'm in the wrong room to reach the recipes right now, but I could post them if anyone is interested.)

I am VERY interested. I LOVE dates and I LOVE LOVE LURVE.....oatmeal cookies.