PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your trash can?

JoyfulMom
12-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure if this should go in Large Families or in Joyous Homekeeping so feel free to move if needed. :)

I'm in need of a new trash solution. We have long out grown our 1100 sq ft home. Our kitchen is so cramped and we barely have room to move freely in here. My trash can stays between the microwave cart and the broom closet that dh converted to a pantry eons ago. The can is 13 gal but we take the trash out daily. If it's not full, it sits in the floor near the can until it is full. I tried using a small can under the sink but that got old quickly, we took the trash out even more frequently and dh hated having it there. We have wasted space in here, I don't know who designed the floor plan but there is no room for anything!

If you're a large family, what size can do you use and where do you keep it?

Close2MyHeart
12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
We have a 1200 square foot home, but only 4 kids so far. :heart I need to tell DH that you have 6 and live in a slightly smaller home. :giggle He keeps saying we've "outgrown" the house. :P

Anyway... we use a 13 gal & keep it in a broom closet that is in the kitchen. We have to keep it out of the reach of DS3 because he would throw everything away in it. :rolleyes2 We change it about once every other day...

rstump
12-05-2007, 11:31 AM
We have 3 (actually 4 places).

In a cabinet we have a rolling rack with 2 - 13 gal trash cans. One gets trash and One gets recycling items.

On the opposite side of the kitchen...near the counters where we do mail, other papers, tabel stuff, etc is a 13 gal trash can (actually a bird feed can) with a lid. It is pretty and sits out in the open. It gets used for other projects in the kitchen...not really food or cooking items.

We also have 2 - 1/2 gal containers that sit on the counter for compost items.

The trash in the cabinet and the compost go out daily. The paper trash and recycling usually go out 2x's a week...when full.