PDA

View Full Version : Dec Housekeeping Challenge #3 -updated 313 books decluttered!!

rstump
12-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Monday, December 3rd

Ch #3 - Declutter/Organize Your Bookshelves (20pts)
Check out what's on your shelves. Get rid of the books you don't LOVE. Sell them, donate them, swap them! Post how many you are able to declutter. (this will be a hard one for me...I LOVE books!)

Bonus #3 - 15 minutes on your Christmas Card List. (or 15 min on Something Holiday related) - 15pts

Shiny Sink - 10pts
Keep that sink shiny....it is a great habit and feels SOOOOO good in the AM when you make breakfast in a clean kitchen.

New addition to the daily Shiny Sink.......

Where's your Laundry.....Caught up! - 10pts
For me this is a HUGE one. If I don't do a load or 2 of laundry each day....I get way behind. I want to start the habit of keeping myself caught up....not only washed but put away too. SO....10pts for having the laundry up to date before you go to bed. For everyone this may be different....do you need to reboot?....Sort, Separate? take it to the laundry room.....is it running....Do you need to change it over? fold it up?, put it away? You know what that means for you. :rockon

Check it before breakfast.....get a load in, Check it at Lunch......change it over, Before bed....get it all put away! If you are caught up....you get points.

Challengers & Points (updated 12/3 10:20pm EST)

Books Decluttered TOTAL : 313 so far

2 Sunshines
abbieroads/Abbi 100
Close2myheart/Becca 80
diamondintherough 35
dylansmom/leah 60
ElectricFaith/Terra 115
FROGmama/Lorene 130
Gotmyheartfull/Kelly
greendelight/Nickie 135
greenjellysnakes/Tammy 25
Happymom/Andrea 155
Hey Mommy/Janice 10
hink4687/Nici 70
Iansmama/Jenn
Joyful Mama/Jen 145
KatieMae/Katie 35
Ladybugs984/Sam 65
Lu 105
MamaBee/Haley 55
milkmommy/Deanna 10
momof3muffins/Heather 115
Mommy Tay/Tay
naturallia/Tishia 30
NayneeNoo/Amy 90
Nebraskanmom/Liz
Niphredil/Lindsay 45
purstrength/Kat 65
rdkkks/Rachelle 45
rstump/Renee 165
Sonshinemama/Jodi 135
WI Mama 05/Kim 125

(any questions/mistakes on points....pm me and I will fix them. I will do my best to catch everything everyone does. I have a big spreadsheet but mistakes may happen....so just let me know)

joyful mama
12-02-2007, 09:08 PM
oy! this is tough!! But I'll do my best :heart

Laundry is a good one. Man, I'm always behind on it. Its usually washed and dried, its the folding and putting away part I stink at terribly :O

rstump
12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
I am the same. I am great at washing the clothes. BUt I just buy MORE laundry baskets instead of putting it away. :lol

When I was in college...I never put any away. Just lived out of the baskets. Clean but very wrinkly.

NayneeNoo
12-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Subbing

tryin-to-FROG
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
ok one more question- do we update what we have done with new posts or do we just keep our origional post and edit it?
ok my update:
today I (with dh help) flipped all 3 beds sheets had already been changed in the laft few days
did plan out cookies for the holidays
and sink is shiny-

oooh I just saw tomorrows that is goint to be a big one... you must have seen my laundry post :giggle hope I can get it done:)

naturallia
12-02-2007, 11:05 PM
great timing, I was about to go through my books!

Books- check! I've got a huge box of books I'm taking to the used bookstore to ask about trading in for books that I want. Thanks for the movitation! Now I'm excited about getting books I actually will read over and over...

Living My Dream
12-03-2007, 01:52 AM
subbing!

greenjellysnakes
12-03-2007, 02:26 AM
I hope I'm not too late to join! It's 8:30pm here (Sydney, Australia) on Dec 3, so I won't be tackling today's challenge. But the bonus is done! I bought my Christmas cards today, checked over my list, and finished making a gift list for the kids.

About to go do the dishes and shine my sink, I'll report back when I do. Laundry is not caught up... maybe tomorrow :shifty

GotMyHeartFull
12-03-2007, 04:58 AM
subbing here. :rockon

Living My Dream
12-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Monday, December 3rd

Ch #3 - Declutter/Organize Your Bookshelves - We did lots of this with the move, but even today, I've managed to sort out 37 books that are going. Iknow DH's uncle wants some of them, and the rest will go to the charity shop! Brilliant. :)

Bonus #3 - 15 minutes on your Christmas Card List. DONE! Spent a few hours finishing the cards and thenDS, dog and I walked to the postbox to post the ones we had stamps for! WOO!

Shiny Sink - Sink is all shiny too! Will only have dinner bits to wash this eveing (and dinner is all made so not pots and pans just plates!)

Laundry - Managed to get caught up, finishing it off this morning, because I had go myself into gear recently with it so I am chuffed. Sorted out which days I need to wash (we dont have enough for everyday washes.)

I am not normally this organised but this morning was so lovely and sunny - I just felt bouncy and ready to go. I'm shattered now. Its the first day I've managed to do everything on the list! Anyhow, now I've got my other cleaning jobs for the day. YAWN, :lol

WI Mama05
12-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Laundry is a good one. Man, I'm always behind on it. Its usually washed and dried, its the folding and putting away part I stink at terribly :O

:yes

tempus vernum
12-03-2007, 07:24 AM
I'd like to try to do this I think :O I'll try today and see how it goes :)

Close2MyHeart
12-03-2007, 07:26 AM
:type2

abbiroads
12-03-2007, 07:46 AM
I posted 1&2 in the other thread. I'm excited about the laundry!

rstump
12-03-2007, 08:24 AM
So cool. I am catching up. I have updated the points (let me know if you see any problems :phew )

I think it is easier if you always start a new post with what you have done so it is easier and less chance I will miss it.

So far this morning....I have gather the laundry and have 2 loads out of the dryer and more going round and round. I need to get 2 baskets put away as well as diapers.

I just finished breakfast and hope to get the sink cleared before lunch gets started. I have dinner that needs to go into the crockpot too.....off to sear some lamb chops and declutter some shelves.

Let me know the total number of books you declutter and we can keep a running total! :heart

Happy Mom
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Dh and I just had a "conversation" yesterday about the laundry. :blush I'm off to get started on it!!

momof3muffins
12-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Can I join in too? I won't be here for the last week of December, but I sure could use the motivation. I have started on the laundry, cleaned out the sink so I can make it shiny (had to wash the pots from two nights ago and load the dishes from yesterday to do it :blush ), and thought about the list for Christmas cards. Does it count that I cleared out a bunch of books from my book shelves two weeks ago and took them to the Goodwill? I will straighten them again.

Update: sink is shiny, laundry is all but folded, card list is done, and I straighted the shelves again.

Update to the update :giggle : laundry is all folded and put away! I can't believe I did it all!

rstump
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Can I join in too? I won't be here for the last week of December, but I sure could use the motivation. I have started on the laundry, cleaned out the sink so I can make it shiny (had to wash the pots from two nights ago and load the dishes from yesterday to do it :blush ), and thought about the list for Christmas cards. Does it count that I cleared out a bunch of books from my book shelves two weeks ago and took them to the Goodwill? I will straighten them again.

Yes, yes...please join. This is just a fun way to motivate all of us, bless our homes/families and build some friendships in the process.

Yes......the books totally count. If you did something recently, just let me know. It just means you are a head of the game.....see you aren't late.

tempus vernum
12-03-2007, 09:35 AM
If I go backwards and finish up the challenges and bonuses from days one and two do I get points? :giggle It shouldn't matter = I should do them for the joy it it. :O :giggle

abbiroads
12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
yeah, but the points ARE motivating.

I cleaned up the book shelves not too long ago, but I took off some more today. I just have to make sure I didn't pull off any that dh wants to keep and I will list my total.

I HAVE to fold laundry today, probably in front of a movie after the kids go to bed.

tryin-to-FROG
12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
ok doing laundry....

I decluttered the books a few months back so they are looking pretty good, I just did the 2 kids bookcases though and am getingrid of 23 books:)

tempus vernum
12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah they are motivating :)

I did my bookshelves but only decluttered about 4 :giggle I recently reorganized our living room (after Thanksgiving) to get the Christmas tree up so this was a matter of just looking for a few that were missed and putting the spines out the direction they belonged and making sure things looked tidy.

They are already a mess :P
But a good thing is I pulled our chrsimtas books I want to work on with the kids for school :)

I also changed all the beds (one of the weekend challenges) but I didn't flip. The kids mattresses don't need flipping and our matress is too heavy for me to do alone while pg. SO. . . . keeping going :)

rstump
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
If I go backwards and finish up the challenges and bonuses from days one and two do I get points? :giggle It shouldn't matter = I should do them for the joy it it. :O :giggle

I say...absolutely. If you do them...than you get points. 3 challenges in one day is hard but if you get them done...than you get points.

As you can see from last month....I am a SUCKER for points :giggle

dylansmom
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I'd like to join too - I need the motivation! Last night I went to bed with a shiny sink and it did feel great this morning! I will work on laundry and bookshelves when I get home from work. How about if I am packing up my favorite books to take back to the states in a few weeks (we are moving back in June so I need to start moving stuff back when we go home for Christmas. It will declutter my house here.

KatieMae
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Declutter/Organize Your Bookshelves (20pts) DONE
I tossed 2 books, fixed 2 board books & will donate 3 others. Low numbers I know, I'm not being lazy on this really! It's just that most of my books are in boxes in the basement b/c DH has his professional books on our shelves until he takes his exams & then we can sell those and get the interesting books back out! The main shelf in our living rooms looks 10-times better though, now that I've rearranged the books & moved some things around!

Bonus #3 - 15 minutes on your Christmas Card List. (or 15 min on Something Holiday related) - 15pts Not happening tonight, oh well

Shiny Sink - 10pts DONE

Where's your Laundry.....Caught up! - 10pts DONE
Excellent idea!!!

LadybugSam
12-03-2007, 12:21 PM
subbing

joyful mama
12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
'k decluttered books from the bookshelves, I think I have about 15 or so I'm getting rid of . not much, b/c our 'classics' and such are down in boxes, awaiting a new bookshelf. the one in the lr has mostly stamp and craft stuff on it, but I am hoping to spend 15-20 mins. organzing that later.

I like the smilie becca!

I am going to work on Christmas cards in a minute...

I put some of the kids luandry away, will post later with everything else :tu

tempus vernum
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Saturday December 1st
Ch #1 - Check Fire Alarm Batteries (20pts) - Very important.DONE

Bonus #1 - Spend atleast 15 min on preparing for Christmas/Holidays. (15 pts) Continue getting prepared.....Gift Lists, Making gifts, decorating, etc. done

Shiny Sink - 10pts

Sunday, December 2nd
Ch #2 - Change Beds & Flip Mattresses (10pt/bed) Did 3 beds - made themonly - 2 of the 3 beds don't need flipping, one too heavy for pg self

Bonus #2 - Spend atleast 15 minutes working on/thinking about your Meal Plan/food for the holiday's. (15 pts) Are you making any special baked goods? Cookies? Can you do anything ahead of time now to make the end of the month easier?Done

Shiny Sink - 10pts

Check out what's on your shelves. Get rid of the books you don't LOVE. Sell them, donate them, swap them! Post how many you are able to declutter. (this will be a hard one for me...I LOVE books!) DONE

Bonus #3 - 15 minutes on your Christmas Card List. (or 15 min on Something Holiday related) - 15pts Done

Shiny Sink - 10pts
Keep that sink shiny....it is a great habit and feels SOOOOO good in the AM when you make breakfast in a clean kitchen.Done

Where's your Laundry.....Caught up! - 10pts DONE

It was really easy catching up on the challenges because Savana bfed for 45 minutes so I sat and did all my todo lists, started editing my christmas card list - which made me wonder if I should even bother sending christmas cards :crazy

It felt good to get all that done espeically the chrimsta lists. :phew I haven't thought much of christmas cuz of Luke's chemo stuff going on so. . . I feel like I am getting ready :woohoo

For laundry, I actually got my sheets folded that dh did yesterday, washed the sheets I peeled off the bed (takes 2 loads cuz Luke wet the blankets last night). ALL my laundry is totally done and put away -- that feels really good. DH and I tag teamed a lot of it this weekend. Usually I change the sheets every monday and they sit on the floor until the next weekend when I start laundry :giggle

rstump
12-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Great JOB....SonshineMama :rockon :clap :rockon :clap

Way to catch up.

Several have asked....so I thought I would post it again. I have no problem with anyone going back and doing challenges.....I am happy to give points. (of course the daily things like sinks/laundry can't be redone) BUT...the whole point of this is to work hard, work as a group and bless our homes. If you do them....you get the "silly" points.

Oh how I LOVE those points. I am having fun thinking of what to send as my "treats/rewards" at the end. This is sooo fun!

KatieMae
12-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Who are you donating the extra books to? Does the local library take them? Or Goodwill? :shrug

rstump
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
My laundry is going.....turned over twice. 2 baskets put away, working on the third right now.

Dinner is in the crockpot.

I have done 1 shelf......7 more to go. I only found 4 books so far to declutter. We moved just 2 months ago and I got rid of BOXES full of them.

My sink is FULL from lunch and dinner prep....so off to get that clean before the dinner dishes hit the sink again.

tempus vernum
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Who are you donating the extra books to? Does the local library take them? Or Goodwill? :shrug

We give ours to the children's hospital. Each floor at our hospital has a "book bin". Kids can take a book with when they are there. My kids regularly take and give books. We don't take one everytime we are there or we would have taken over a hundred the past 2 years but every few months we bring a huge box and every other month or so, each child picks a book from the bin. The bin is actually sponsored through half price books and gets most of their books from Half PRice books but they take private donations as well :)

tryin-to-FROG
12-03-2007, 02:05 PM
if you have a local prregnancy center they may take any parenting/ baby/pregnancy books:)

rstump
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Bookcases are done. 25 books to be donated and 2 thrown away.

Laundry still going....1 basket to fold, one in wash, one in dryer....then we are all caught up.

We put up more garland and lights today around the house. I just love decorating for Christmas.

Dinner is smelling yummy....sink is shiny, dish washer is running. I can easily clean it out before bed and add in the few dinner dishes.

Happy Mom
12-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Ok update:

Four loads of laundry done and put away! Only probably 3 more to go!

bookshelves were done in the girls room already, I donated 20 books. Going though my stash, I found 8. So 28 total. Yay!

Christmas list is next!!!....

greendelight
12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
:phew

Five loads of laundry are clean, dry, and put away! I cleaned and organized our bookcases, but there weren't any books I could give away (we did that not too long ago). Christmas work is done for today. Sink is shiny.

Happy Mom
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Christmas card list is completed!! woott!!

dylansmom
12-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Today:
Flipped one mattress and washed/dried sheets and put back on.
Laundry done up and put away!!
Shiny Sink!
1 book shelf done.

rstump
12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Dinner dishes are done. Leftovers are in the . :rockon WOOT WOOT :heart

ElectricEarth
12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
challenge #3 - done! 16 books separated out
bonus #3 - done! We don't do Christmas cards, so I started sorting through pictures for a gift for my parents
sink is shiny
laundry is caught up

WI Mama05
12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I meant to get through all the books today, but only got the main one done. Took out 35 from that shelf alone! :jawdrop

Bonus #3 - 15 minutes on your Christmas Card List. (or 15 min on Something Holiday related) - 15pts
I *meant* to get to the cards tonight, but instead I baked ALL DAY LONG. It was Christmas baking - probably spent 5 hrs on that alone today total! :O

I did 4 loads today and a 5th is in the washer :hunh. I usually get laundry going in marathon sessions anyway, but that's A LOT of laundry!

I also changed two beds this evening (can't flip it - select comfort air beds), which makes MORE laundry!!! (I missed that challenge from 1&2). Also, from 1&2, our fire dectors are checked. They are primarily hardwired with a battery backup!

Still baking, so no shiny sink right now!

This might sound great, but I play catch up on the days I'm home. Tomorrow we're planning on going into town, so I won't get NEARLY as much done! :no

rstump
12-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Here you go....challenge #4

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=147585.0

purstrength
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Monday, December 3rd

Check out what's on your shelves. Get rid of the books you don't LOVE. Sell them, donate them, swap them! Post how many you are able to declutter. (this will be a hard one for me...I LOVE books!)

Shiny Sink - 10pts
Keep that sink shiny....it is a great habit and feels SOOOOO good in the AM when you make breakfast in a clean kitchen.

CH #3 done! I'll have to go count the books, they are in a box.

Bonus #3 I put up my Christmas tree and I'm getting rid of a few things that I don't think I'll use any more.

My sink is shiny and the laundry is as it should be!

rstump
12-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Great job everyone! Off to bed and wake up to more laundry, more dishes and challenge #4!

abbiroads
12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Monday, December 3rd

Shiny Sink - 10pts 

Where's your Laundry.....Caught up!  - 10pts
done, done and done, and I get to go to bed!  I'll have to count my books tomorrow.

joyful mama
12-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Monday, December 3rd

Check out what's on your shelves. Get rid of the books you don't LOVE. Sell them, donate them, swap them! Post how many you are able to declutter. (this will be a hard one for me...I LOVE books!) DONE- 15 books to give away

Bonus #3 - 15 minutes on your Christmas Card List. (or 15 min on Something Holiday related) - 15pts- DONE spent well over that on Christmas related stuff and about 20 mins. on the cards. First 20 going out tomorrow (only have 1 book of stamps, the rest will be after payday)

Shiny Sink - 10pts
Keep that sink shiny....it is a great habit and feels SOOOOO good in the AM when you make breakfast in a clean kitchen. DONE

For me this is a HUGE one. If I don't do a load or 2 of laundry each day....I get way behind. I want to start the habit of keeping myself caught up....not only washed but put away too. SO....10pts for having the laundry up to date before you go to bed. For everyone this may be different....do you need to reboot?....Sort, Separate? take it to the laundry room.....is it running....Do you need to change it over? fold it up?, put it away? You know what that means for you. rock on not caught up. only spent about 15 mins putting some away, but have about 2 to run and several baskets to fold and put away. Tomorrow is another day!

tryin-to-FROG
12-03-2007, 11:07 PM
ok book cases done:)
sink shiny!
Laundry current:)
Christmas stuff- I just stocked a bunch of new silk slings for christmas on my website does that count :giggle lol
ok will do christmas cards tomorrow:)

Six Little Feet
12-03-2007, 11:58 PM
My laundry is all caught up, my sink is sparkling and my book shelves dusted....

LadybugSam
12-04-2007, 09:34 AM
i started with 65 points and then

i don' t have book shelves

Bonus #3 - 15 minutes on your Christmas Card List. (or 15 min on Something Holiday related) - 15pts I totally did that!

Shiny Sink - 10pts
Keep that sink shiny....it is a great habit and feels SOOOOO good in the AM when you make breakfast in a clean kitchen. woohoo! i did that too

and i skipped the laundry, because i do once a week laundry at the laundry mat. But i did sort all the clothes into their baskets, does that count :shifty please?

:D

Happy Mom
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Ok, Laundry is caught up (I have like 2 loads to do, but seriously, with a family of five, there's ALWAYS 2 loads to do)...list is DONE...bookshelves are DONE...and Sink is beautiful ..except now I'm going to cook breakfast! :lol

NayneeNoo
12-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Monday, December 3rd

Done-9 books AND I already brought them to Goodwill. ;-)

Watered the tree, vacuumed up needles (the cats won't leave the tree alone), rearranged the decorations that Hope has fooled with. Not quite 15 minutes but I don't have anything holiday related to do atm. We don't do cards, I'm done decorating and I can't do anymore Christmas shopping until DH gets back from his business trip.

Shiny Sink - 10pts

DONE

For me this is a HUGE one. If I don't do a load or 2 of laundry each day....I get way behind. I want to start the habit of keeping myself caught up....not only washed but put away too. SO....10pts for having the laundry up to date before you go to bed. For everyone this may be different....do you need to reboot?....Sort, Separate? take it to the laundry room.....is it running....Do you need to change it over? fold it up?, put it away? You know what that means for you. :rockon

Laundry caught up. :phew

rstump
12-04-2007, 09:40 AM
and i skipped the laundry, because i do once a week laundry at the laundry mat. But i did sort all the clothes into their baskets, does that count :shifty please?

:D

Of course....what ever caught means to you is great! Oh.....I remember once a week laundry. I wish.....off to daydream......

abbiroads
12-04-2007, 09:55 AM
54 books off my shelves!

rstump
12-04-2007, 09:59 AM
54 books off my shelves!

:cheer :cheer :woohoo :cheer :cheer

That puts us over 250!

hink4687
12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Monday, December 3rd

Shiny Sink - 10pts

I decluttered my bookshelf and got rid of 5 books. - 20
Worked on christmas card list - 15
did a load of laundry - 10

purstrength
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I have 15 books to get out of here! :rockon

naturallia
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh! I didn't realize we were posting how many books we got rid of- 23 books here- 4 of which were by Pearl. :shifty

rstump
12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
WOW....we broke 300 on the books. Our running total now is 313 books decluttered!